Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rad needs a new password

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirednet

Technical User
Apr 7, 2005
US
I have a remote site Norstr MICS in which the rad password is unknown. I have tried many of the usual passwords but was unable to get in. The secretary tried the reset found in faq799-3013 but there was not a prompt for a new password. From that point how do you enter a new password?

Have you tried 266344723 to log in?

If nothing else works and you are adventurous open the rad and short the coin battery for a couple of seconds.
I have done it with bare wire, but some people recommend a small resistor.

NARSBARS

Just open her up and short out the battery terminals this will reset it back to factory. then just get yourself a rad user guide to walk you through the initial setup.

The shorting out method will work fine if you are not concerned about your RAD maintaining the password in the future. I give up. Can't get people to stop giving advice on shorting out RADs and KSUs. Might as well just buy a new RAD. You're gonna' have to someday.

MarvO said it

Thanks for the possible solutions. I got lucky and found the password after another day of dialing in.

You can not log onto a RAD without the password. If unknown you must reset the
RAD password. There are two ways to do this:

1. One is by opening the unit up and then carefully shorting out the battery on
the motherboard of the RAD. This will reset the unit and you will be able to
configure it with a new password and other parameters.

2. The other way is through the following programming instructions
a. Change the date of your Norstar® Key System Unit to the following
date. <09-21-99>.
b. enter <Feature 9**>
c. Under your display on the left softkey press it 9 times.
d. Under your display on the center softkey press it 5 times.
e. Under your display on the right softkey press it 7 times.
f. Press the hold button once.
g. Press the dial pad number 2 once.
h. Press the dial pad number 1 once.
i. Press the release button once.
The RAD password is now reset.

In RAD programming you can enter a new
password. Return to Installer programming and reset you date back to the correct
information.

I have found another site with a bad pasword.
After the password is reset for the RAD, what is the default password?

Ok looks like you got the password change under control. But everyone keeps talking about the battery and shorting them out (KSU, RAD, ect). What we are calling a battery in reality is a Capacitor. Able to keep a charge in a perfect world forever but that's another story. Like marvo said you should not just go up and short out a Cap with a screwdriver or anything like that (even though we have all done it). Because you could cause damage to it and therefore it would not hold a charge for the IC's in case of a power loss to the system. Therefore you would loose any data that the IC's were suppose to keep. But if you use a resistor to slowly bleed the charge from the Cap it should not cause any problems to it. As long as there is not a sudden discharge theoretically the Cap should out live the unit. Ok that's my 2 cents anyone else?

Not that you need to know this after all the advise you've allready been given, but I and several fellow techs have just used an unbent paper clip to short out the RAD. Of course, this is not something to do on a regular basis. Once should do fine.

You REALLY risk burning the cap by shorting it. Do the math...

You've got a fully charged 5 volt cap and a paper clip which has a resistance of 0.1 ohms

Current = Volts / Resistance

50 amps running through that paper clip... enough current to weld.

M

I give up. Just when we think we have everyone convinced to stop shorting the cap, someone posts again about shorting the cap. There is a good reason why the shorting voids the warranty. I guess that if you are a tech on site and need to get into a RAD, it's not your money that you are burning up. About 3 months later, the RAD cannot remember the password and needs to be set each time it is used. If you had to buy the RAD yourself, you would quit shorting them out. The debuggers work very well if you want to provide QUALITY service to your customers.

I swear that I will quit harping on this someday.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back