Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAD devices why they work in the office but not the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjenkins

Programmer
Sep 2, 2003
US
I seem to encounter this with every fast RAD I use.. They work great when being accessed via the COM1 port, but when they are accessed via operator transfer.. phooey! I've read thru all the docs, butI guess I am still missing something. I am using WInXP and Nortel remote NRU 9.1 any suggestions?

Danjenkins, It sounds like something may be off in your modem init string. What kind of modem are you using? What speed are you trying to connect at, and what kind of error do you get?
I do everything with WIN2K and Win98 machines, so don't know what to expect with WinXP, but believe from prior posts that others have it working with WinXP.

MarvO said it

Try getting an OLD modem to connect to RAD - 9600 or slower. They're available at flea markets, cheap: 10 bucks or less.

The 56K ones have a hard time slowing down far enough to meet the RAD. If you call into other phone systems, it can be a real problem getting down to 300 or 1200 baud. An oldy-moldy does it well. Just call it "Generic Modem" and set max speed to 9600.

Howard

Marv:
Thanks for pointing my head in a better direction. To answer your question, I am using a Xircom ethernet+56K card, driver version 5.1.2535.0 at 9600 baud. The modem init string is EQOX4V1&C157=85. I will be the first to say that: &quot;modem strings..? say what?&quot;... <smile> thank you for your help.
Dan

Get a 14.4 and give it a shot. Best 5 bucks I ever spent. Solved a problem that hadn't been resolved in a month.

Just try to find docs to tell you what the init strings mean!

GL

Howard

It will work on winxp systems as well. I run winxp on my programming pc with a standard 56k modem and never experiance any problems with connecting and programming functions. Maybe, I am just one lucky soul out there.

I was having similar problems until I added the following to the end of my modem initialisation string.

&i0&b1

Nortel has this in their docs for USR Modems. It worked like a charm for me. Give it a try.

Simon

I have had similar problems at times using Win 2000 and using an operator assisted connect. I found that I could not wait for the modem tone before pressing the connect button. As soon as the operator presses the feature keys I press connect and hang up. It has proven to work well for me.

Rob

I connect all the time from the office. ck com port on lap top direct uses one port remote another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back