Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rackmount server SR114 hard drive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

goal

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Can't find non-specific server hardware forum, so here goes..

I have a 1U rackmount server chassis by Gigabyte which has a daughterboard for connecting IDE drives, these drives have fixed sliding plates which put the rear of the disk directly onto fixed IDE and Power connectors. The system was pre-built with two maxtor disks, of which both have now failed.

The problem is that no existing disk that I can find will fit onto the fixed IDE/Power ports, they're all very slightly mis-aligned by a few mm, including the maxtor drives which succeed the original ones used in the machine.

The Chassis is a Gigabyte GS-SR114. Does anybody have experience of this chassis and successfully found disks to fit it?

Thanks all.

I don't have these to hand, in fact I think they may have been returned to Maxtor (and replaced with a later model).

I believe they were DX740 or something similar, but I can't be sure.

Pretty much given up on this now, no existing drives fit the machine. Gigabyte have a QA list of drives that fit, but all have been out of production for a LONG time.

Had a similar problem with an old rack mount 2U Dell server which the user wanted to retain. Ended up discarding what would have matched your "daughter board", and put in new IDE cables direct from the motherboard, and put in "Y" adaptor power leads off the existing to power the new drives.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

That's what I'm trying to do myself now, the problem is the very restrictive amount of space in which to do it. Need a rather flexible and long IDE cable to achieve it.

Shouldn't be a problem... I have a 90cm ATA133 IDE cable on the desk in front of me - surely that would be long enough? These 80-wire cables can be flattened fairly easily to go round corners etc...

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I think i know the one you are talking about. I could look and see what i have if you want to double-check on that exact model. There is a maxtor model something like dx something, jumpers are a bit different from standard maxtor, and i have at least one of those.
My email is kron123 (at) cogeco (dot) ca.

I know this, that you could get these hard drives if you joined a few of the forums that buy, sell, trade, like anandtech, tech imo, and a ton of others.
I can pretty much guarantee you can find the hard drives you want. I'd bet money but i know i would win, lol.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

The model numbers actually stayed the same for some time, whilst the backplate design changed (we ordered some and were shocked when they didn't fit) - this is what is so annoying. Even if you do get the right model there's no guarantee that it'll fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back