Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R8 Upgrade -LSP Sites - 9608 Firmware Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimma

Technical User
Jul 10, 2007
GB
Hi All,

I've currently working on an R7 to R8 Upgrade.

So far, so good, I've got about 10 LSP sites to upgrade prior to doing the core CM. However the only issue I've run into is the upgrade of the 9608 FW.

On R7 we used the local US to host the 9608FW, so it was all local to the site and everything worked. Now with R8, Utility Services is now AVP Utilities and the ability to host the handset FW has been lost. On the first site we just changed the DHCP scope to point to an R7 Utility Server at the core and reset the phones, the phones reset and took over an hour to pull down the FW. Some of the sets we sitting at the downloading FW screen and then they went to connecting to call server.

Once all the phones had re-registered to the NR we checked and only 4 out of 57 had upgraded to the R6.8.4 FW. According to the documentation that I could find on the support pages, Avaya recommend that no more than 50-100 IP Stations be upgraded at the same time. So 57 handsets is well less than Avaya's recommendation, but only 4 got updated.

I'm aware that the customers WAN will also play a part in this, but the customer is 100% confident that the network wasn't the bottleneck or limited the number of downloads etc.

The other issue that I noticed was that on the upgraded handsets MUTE CRAFT didn't work, but if I rebooted a handset after it had been upgraded to R6.8.4, I was able to get into the CRAFT menu....

So has anybody had similar issues using US R7 to upgrade 50 plus handsets at the same time?

What are you guys using to replace US on an LSP site?

Thanks

Glimma

Are you using an FQDN for the server address? We ran into an issue where Option 15 was set in the voice network and it causes issues with the 9608 phones. For example, if the Option 15 has a domain set of xyz.com and Option 242 has server1.abc.com set for the fqdn then the server fqdn winds up being server.abc.com.xyz.com

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

Hi Stinney,

Option 242 is pointing to the IP address of the US.

Glimma

I dont use the utility server as I prefer a Apache server, but I've upgraded 500+ phones at the same time without issue.

We've upgraded over 100 phones at the same time also and we use a Windows 2012 server. All you need is a server that can dish out files that make an http or https call.

As to the admin code for accessing the sets you need to set the password in your 46xxsettings file if you want to direct access the set..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back