Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R8 and Virtual Licenses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibroth

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
IT
IPO installed from scratch running 7.0, NO LICENSES.

As soon upgraded to R8 it started showing the following Virtual Licenses which I wonder where are coming from:

Essential Edition (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
R8+ Preferred Edition ( valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Advanced Edition (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Mobile Worker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Office Worker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Teleworker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Power User (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Receptionist (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Customer Service Agent (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Customer Service Supervisor (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)

?????????????????????

Think I might have a related problem with the R8 upgrade. System bought as R7 with licences including preferred and advanced. Brought system up, applied licences and all looked fine as an R7 system. Then immediately upgraded to R8. This was same day, so no question of being done within the 90 day period.

I believed that doing it this way would get around the requirement for the R8 licence due to being within the entitlement window, and as the preferred and advanced licences were already in place, the system would create the virtual essential edition. Not so, the virtual licence has not come up and the preferred/advanced licences and licences where these are a pre-req are dormant, telling me that the upgrade and / or essential licence are needed! Upgrade was to R8.0.18 which I thought was supposed to have had the posted problem fixed.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Wow,

Avaya have kicked them selves in balls here,.

ok r7 90 day grace period, if upgraded to R8 within 90 days or still on original Release put the kit on 7.027 make external calls , upgrade to R8 Q1 now(just released).all sweet and dandy.

Kit been on R7 for more than 90 days , upgrade licence for site size plus essential edition.(unless you complain like hell and you get fruity with Avaya and they give in)

Below R7 with VMpro , all you need is the upgrade licence to R8.

Hope this is clear as its caused loads of prpblems

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

So following this logic montyzummer, I should have been OK. Although, I didn't make a call on R7 before steaming ahead with the upgrade to R8.0(18). Is that where mine has gone wrong?

I know there was a known issue up to 8.0(16), but believed this was fixed in 8.0(18), so thought going straight from R7 with licences applied for preferred and advanced, to 8.0(18) should have been fine.

You can upgrade an r7 essential to an r8 essential, or an r7 preferred to an r8 preferred within the 90 day entitlement period FREE OF CHARGE. We all know it doesn't work correctly but it is something Avaya will fix. They attempted to fix it in 8.0(18), but It didn't work for me. I just called my distributor and they gave me an upgrade FREE.

3.1.2 90-Day Entitlement Period
The system may be upgraded to the latest release of IP Office software (in this case R8.0) during the entitlement period; within 90 days after the system was first powered up by the customer. The customer has an entitlement period of 90 days from their initial use of the system to install the version of software they wish to run. Should another release of IP Office become available within 90 days of a system first being used, the customer may move to that release without purchasing an upgrade license. Example: if a customer first powered up the IP Office with Release 7.0 they are entitled to R8.0 within the 90 day period WITHOUT CHARGE for a R8.0 upgrade license.

Don't know why everyone on this board won't accept this.

Trail Licences are advertised as 90 Day trial. However, they usually go invalid after about 100 to even 110 Days. Extra time is given when licence is generated, as it can sometimes take several Days to go from ADI to vendor then to Customer...

assist24, I've been trying to sort all this out the last few days also. If I've understood all correctly (not a guaranteed thing mind you) then yes the problem is that you didn't make a phone call before upgrading to R8.0.18. The 90 day entitlement period doesn't commence until you make an external call, not when you power up like some of the docs state.

You MUST start the entitlement period while still at R7 or lower, and then after upgrading you will see a virtual essential edition license show up (but not a whole whack of trial licenses). If you start the entitlement period in R8, then my understanding is 90 some days later you go into muppet mode.

If you haven't made any external calls yet, downgrade, make an external call, then upgrade to R8 again.

Peter Sherwood
Morrack Consulting
Affordable World Class Off-site Backup!

According to Catalyst Telecom, no license are needed if a call is attempted on R7 and then upgrade to 8.0.42 within the 90 days. I'm still skeptical but will find out Monday evening when I try it.

Unfortunately it's not even as simple as that, Avaya have authorised the issue of free upgrade licences as even after following the above steps systems have been reverting after 90 days, 8.0.18 did not fix this issue as they claimed, I received a whole bunch of free licences today to cover this issue :)

brainey1 it appears to have worked out ok for me on one unit I have that was still in the entitlement window.

amriddle01, excellent, you must be breathing easier now :)

Peter Sherwood
Morrack Consulting
Affordable World Class Off-site Backup!

Hello
Now Avaya are sending out V8(18) from the factory even though you order the system as a R7,Will the free virtual licence work if you make a call on V8(18)then upgrade to V8(44). I was told by tech support that it should work without downgrading back to V7. Can anybody confirm this is the case or do I have to downgrade.

Hi Dean, no that will not work, a system that has never been R7 is therefor new on R8 and so will require the essential edition licence to run as you want it to (not basic/quick edition). So you have 3 options, buy that licence (expensive), buy an R8 upgrade licence which generates the essential licence automatically (cheaper and has worked 100%) or step through R7 and make a call first (free but apparently does not always work) Scansource are mistaken in this case and it's not worth proving this on a customer :)

I noticed it too that the SD cards come on 8.0.18.
I don't care because i already ordered the upgrade license.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back