Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R2 and Standard - DC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

twayd

MIS
May 5, 2008
US
Hello-

Any issues promoting 2 machines, one running 2003 Standard and one running 2003 R2 to domain controllers?? Should I look to get the same OS on both??

Thanks!!

They'll function just fine together. If you haven't already prepped for R2, you'll need to do that first.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

thanks ,dave. this is actually a new domain. so ill dcpromo the r2 box, first, and then the standard box?

Yes, if you're creating a domain and not DCPROMO'ing into an existing then, then DCPROMO the R2 box first (patch it up completely btw), then DCPROMO the regular 2003 box after. Shouldn't have any problems.

Obviously...if you plan on upgrading the 2nd box to R2 eventually, I'd do it now.

Also get DCPromo for the R2 box off the 2nd CD - its different to the one on CD1 for 2003.

He has nothing to prep...it's a new domain.

Sorry...yes, dcpromo from the 2nd CD...misread it thinking about another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back