Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R10 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOfficeGuru

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
Reading through the Offer Definition for R10.
A few items that are disturbing.
1. PLDS Licensing process is going to be a pain in the A$$.
2. Avaya is moving to a per user model for the IP Office. A 'Basic User' license required for every user you create on the system. Without it Digital sets won't even work. (No wait - they can still dial 911)
3. The marvelous Avaya "IPOSS" is mandatory for every system. The R10 Offer Definiton tries to run you through some glorious justification of how wonderful the IPOSS will be for the customer. Thats after you attempt about 50 times to register the damn thing and then register 'your' customer "SOLD To:'which takes about 20 minutes - so Avaya can later take over tha account.
Remember - all of this so Avaya can streamline the installation process !!
What a joke - I haven't even touched on the "Avaya IP Office Cloud Offer" only $39.95 per seat - but you have to act now - says the guy from 'slap chop' infomercial.

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

$40 per seat? Our hosted offering costs about $14 per seat....good luck with that :)

I saw a presentation about the license migration from ADI to PLDS, it's incredibily confusing and patches+patches based, at the same time for what I know no consistent new fetures introduced by that, is there a sense? I think we'll stay on R9.1 for a long time.

It tells you when someone is on the phone...
....And SIP simplification, which translates to "it'll probably break your SIP trunks on upgrade" :)

Avaya is going to loose tons of customers by going to this model, I am sure Mitel will be picking up most business going forward with this boneheaded decision by Avaya.

R10 seems like a big nothing for me except for this:

On Another Call (ringing feedback): User A calls another User B who is already on a call but has avail call appearance(s) to receive additional call(s). User A will receive an “On Another Call” indication on display during the ringing state.

I have been asking for this for years.

That's what I meant by "It tells you when someone is on the phone..."
I don't think it's worth a release number, it's barely 9.2 :)

Not worth that feature for how much it will cost them, any IP Office that comes in at r10 I will be downgrading to 9.1

That's the point. There's nothing in 10 that matters. This is the only thing that has any value to me. I do have customers that would upgrade for this alone. especially the ones that had Nortel. Nortel did this. R10 is about Avaya finding way to get a few more $$$ and hooks into your customer.

What would be the best diversionary tactic for Avaya to use in order to bait and switch us loyal Business Partners into selling R10?
a.) "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"
b.) "Oh ! Look !! Shiny object !!"
c.) "Squirrel!"
d.) "Now you can see who is on the phone - wo - gotta have it !!"

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

Lmfao.

I'll take the box. The box.

Here's a witty rejoinder for you.

Reading through the offer definition for R10 the new basic user license is awful. What I can't figure out is if a basic license will be required for phantom users that forward to SC for AA overflow?

A non licenced user cannot forward, they have no telephony features....shit hey :)

But dont forget you can just enter numbers in ICR directly or use a group now that groups can fallback to shortcodes/AAs etc :)

Are you going to need the Sold to Number in r10 to get the PLDS licenses for your system? What happens if I decide not to get the sold to number for the PBX?

RE
APSS, AIPS

Amriddle no more Coffee for you !
Nothing to see here folks....move along sheeple. That's right keep it movin'.

Probably easier than trying to convince a potential customer that Avaya R10 is the best thing since sliced bread, vanilla ice cream, and sex. (ok - maybe not the last one)

Cisco - forget it. No SMB solution anymore. You must go through Cisco Preferred, Select or Gold partner. Becoming a Select partner takes a year and a crap load of training courses and a ton of money.

Shoretel is better but a hard sell at the price they charge.

Any way you go you're looking at 5 figures to get authorized.

Mitel is an easier route, not silly money and reasonable training requirements. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back