Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoputter

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
US
I have a customer with 2 sites that are 8.1.85 and upgrading to R10. I need someone to give me the warm fuzzies cause I'm not entirely sure if the process I'm thinking is correct.

Do I first need to go to 9.1 or can I go right to 10.0.0.3..?

The end is near!

I am actually getting ready to upgrade an 8.0 to 10, I already have the licenses and R10 (10.0.0.2.0) on the remote PC. I know that with 8.0 we have to do a two step, 9.0 then 10. I am trying to load the licenses on the PBX prior to getting the show on the road but when I open the 8.0 config with Manager 10, the Add button is not there, do I need to jump all the way to 10 to be able to load the licenses?

RE
APSS, AIPS

Okkie26, I do not have the xml file yet, it has been ordered

Trinetintl, you may want to look at this before your upgrade
Capture_rmvwbo.png

The end is near!

Yes, we read that too, that's why we already have downloaded the 9.0 bin files to the remote PC. My only concern is not able to load the licenses prior to starting the upgrade, I would feel more comfortable having the system's licenses ready to go before getting started particularly because this site is kind of a long drive away and it is Friday, but I guess we will wait until we are no R10.

RE
APSS, AIPS

But I'm assuming I can load the xml file on the SD card and then proceed with the upgrade to R10, but in your case you would have to go to 8.1.65 and then on to R10.

Capture_cf3v9o.png

The end is near!

We closed our eyes and jumped in the deep end of the pool, this is our first upgrade from a pre 9.1 release, we are done with 9.0 and we are loading R10, it is going to take a little while to load, unfortunately for me, I forgot that one of the external modules is not supported by R10, we have the new one here at the office, I guess a Monday early AM visit is in our future.

RE
APSS, AIPS

So what exactly was the process you did, went from 8.0 to 9.1 then onto 10..? How did you initially load the license?

The end is near!

Everything went surprisingly smooth, went from 8.0 to 9.0 then to 10.0.0.3, at the end had a bit of a hiccup with the licenses but it was my mistake, it was a bit of lack of knowledge on my behalf regarding the PLDS Activation, I unknowingly only activated part of the licenses, a call to ITSS solved that dilemma, and yes we installed the licenses at the end when the system was on R10 and proceed to remove the obsolete ones.

Everything worked surprisingly perfectly, actually better than perfect because even the expansion module that Avaya told me was not going to work because it was not compatible with R10, well, it is working!! That's great news because that means that we do not have to be onsite first thing AM ready to deploy the new module, we can have our AM coffee here at the office and plan the installation around lunch to take advantage of the nice BBQ place that's near by our customer office. Heck, even Voicemail pro that's currently on 8.0 also worked like a charm, that means that we do not have to stay late to upgrade to R10 tonight. Pluses and positives all over the place today, that's very welcomed news for a change.

RE
APSS, AIPS

What Expansion Module did you think would not work?

If I recall correctly, it is documented in the same bulletin you read to pull the pre-release 9.1 upgrade instructions, most of the PRE IP400 V2 External modules show as not supported with a couple of exceptions, I double checked with ATAC and they confirmed, in this particular case and actually one of the exceptions is the Analog 8 Port V2 External Module that the customer is currently using to run their faxes and other analog devices. The description on the IP Office is ANALOG POTS8V2, the reason why it is not supported, according to ATAC, is that the POTS8V2 was replaced with the 8 analog port board, huh? Really?
We actually got the 8 analog port to replace and we will replace it even if it is working because the customer is going to retire all of the old equipment as he begins transitioning to full VoIP, but it was a relief when we dialed one of the fax numbers and we heard the fax tone, we knew right there and then then, that we could actually relax and take our time go onsite today, without any pressure to retire the old equipment and to begin installing the 9608 telephones they ordered with the upgrade.

RE
APSS, AIPS

So what did you use for the Host Id number to register the license with, the SD serial number..?

The end is near!

What i do is give it a name and where needed the serial of the SD card with 11-14-xx-xx-xx

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Ok so I'll put 11 in front of the serial number, and the customer is at 8.1.85 so from what I understand reading in the doc I should be able to go right to R10 and then load the license. Were on for this Friday, IPO, VMPro and One-X. There using Gmail so hopefully R10 works with that.

The end is near!

Could be me. But I think you need the mac address of the IPO...

No, this is was what I complained about to ITSS, the PLDS documentation is very confusing and the process is still very oriented to Aura or CM as I suspect however if you actually call ITSS they will actually help you and sometimes even walk you through the process. One thing they told me is to not use Quick Activate, I used it and it worked OK, These are the key fields:

LAC(s): Provided by distributor once the ordered is fulfilled.
License Host: A description only field, it can be anything you want; the customer name, the dongle serial number, a combination of both, something that you can easily search for future license activation.
Host ID: It is simply the dongle serial number of the IP Office formatted like a MAC address with an 11- at the beginning. It is the same number you used to provide the distributor to associate the ADI license.

That's it, you just need to make sure to verify that the correct sold to number/customer is displayed when the system displays the information after you punch in the LAC number. If its wrong, contact ITSS and they will correct it.

RE
APSS, AIPS

I can confirm that the PLDS host ID for IP500V2 is the SD card number prefixed with 11.

The newer cards are now delivered with that 11 to have 12 digits. If you want to use those new cards with ADI licenses you have to remove the two prefixed digits to order or swap licenses.

Now that I have new SD cards for the R10 upgrade, can I load the cfg file onto the new SD card prior to inserting it into the IP500..?

The end is near!

You can. Rename it to config.cfg and put it in the primary folder. Reboot the ipo and it will test the config.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Ok so the upgrade went fine last night, but after the system came up after being rebooted, the display on the phones said "System Unlicensed" what I discovered was that I renamed the XML file exactly as the document said to PLDSkeys.xml but when I looked at that file on the Primary file of the SD card it said PLDSkeys.xml.xml. So when changing the name of the xml file don't add the extension of .xml, So I loaded the xml file the old fashion way and things started working.

Capture_ivjxt2.png

The end is near!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back