Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quote to Order - Not MFG Order Number Generated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techtnologies

Vendor
Aug 10, 2006
US
Hi Everyone,

I am having one more issue with the bsuiness object we have created to bridge our quote system with Macola.

In standard Macola if you place an order for a MFG part the SFC order is generated automatically for you.

However, if I have a quote with a MFG item on it and convert it to an order the SFC order is not generated for it even though the Item is set up with the MFG Method of SF in IM.

Any ideas?

Chad
Techtnologies LLC

That is because when you change the order INSIDE macola....Macola is doign the SFC generation for you. Judging from your previous posts, you are inserting records into macolas OE and other files. There are no objects or triggers that are going to automatically create the sfc for you. This only happens in standard macola because it is coded that way. You will need to apply the same logic to your Business Object to complete the process.

I have nothing against inserting data into Macolas db. Just be advised that NONE of the "other" processing that happens inside the Macola software is going to magically occur for you. If you design outside processes to interact with Macolas databases then YOUR object needs to be further enhanced to complete the process.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Using Macola, the mfg order is not generated unless a) the forced demand flag is set to P-pull and b) there is a backorder, defined as the qty to ship is less than the qty ordered.

I am not sure what your business objects do, but Andy is correct, you must program all of this, including the all tables that a sfc order updates. Here are a few:

SFORDFIL
SFDTLFIL
IMORDBLD
IMINVLOC
IMINVTRX
SDCTLFIL
MCTRXFIL

Add a lot more tables if you are using bin/serial/lot control, hard allocation, etc.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

You would think Macola would have a process that looks at the forced_demand and the mfg_method when converting a quote to an order since many times a quote contains items that have not been set up in inventory, but since Macola sucks I came up with a soltuion that works fine.

When inserting the quote form the business object I check inventory and set the forced_demand and mfg_method flags based on what is in inventory.

For items that do not exisit in inventory prior to my insert I wrote a little flex code that sites on the Convert Quote button that does another check since invenroty will always be set up prior to the quote being converted.

This will then generate the shop order on the conversion of the quote to the order.

There is no need to hit all the tables listed above.

Chad
Techtnologies LLC

Chad,

You are sadly mistaken. There is an absolute need to hit all the tables listed above. If you don't then the integration with other modules such as MRP, MCA, etc will not work properly.

Yes I will be at Engage.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

--Dave Barry

Actually I am not mistaken. We don't use MRP as we have created one in house that suits our needs and runs in about 1 min compared to the Macola 4-8 hour process.

We also only have one route setup in MCA and have automated that process as well.

Once the quote is converted into an Order the process remains the same internally for generating the SFC orders and releasing material to the floor.

We have ran many validations are everything looks fine.

You have to remember eveyone has their inventory set up differently and using macola in different ways. :)

Chad
Techtnologies LLC

Also....one more note.....I think there is confusion on what our object is doing.

It is simply creating a quote in Macola and then standard Macola is being used to convert that quote to an order. We are not doing that process in our business object.

Our object simply inserts the quote and all other processing takes place within Macola.

Chad
Techtnologies LLC

That explains a lot.

--Dave Barry

Actually I did some testing on this and I cannot get any SFC orders to pull from OE, even if I manually key in the order.

Pop orders are getting pulled no problem, regardless if you convert it from a quote or not. So it looks like its the SF pull process that is broken, not the convert quote feature.

--Dave Barry

Chad,

This is working perfectly in 76400a. I had some bad sample data but after playing with this for a while I got it working fine for both POP and SFC items.

When you when you manually enter a quote and manually convert it to an order, the SFC order is created. So try doing this manually and compare it to the data being input by your app and let me know what happens.

This assumes you are entering a quote into the OE files, not the Q&E files.

--Dave Barry

In 7.6.400 I believe this is broken.

For example, if I have a non inventory item in the quote stage, add the item to inventory and then convert the quote to the order Macola will not generate the SFC order. If does not do a check on the mfg_method and forced_demand flags on the conversion of a quote to an order in standard Macola.

This is fixed in 7.6.400a?? That would be great as you would think this would be part of Macola's business logic.

I said in a previous post we got around it by placing a piece of flex code on the Convert Quote button in OE that will go and check IM for the flags and update the OEORDLIN table with the correct flags in IM.

Everything seems to be working well now.

I suspect the OEORDLIN_SQL.line_type field. This is normally S for service code, I for inventory or <<null>> for non inventory. This gets captured at OE or quote entry time. The fact that you later create a real part number means nothing.

Manually key in a non inventory line item, then manually key in an inventory item, and look at the differences in how the 2 records in the OEORDLIN are populated. There are probably 20 fields that populate differently. It may be a combination of several fields.

--Dave Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back