Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quota reached - allow incoming email

Status
Not open for further replies.

monideth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
GB
All,

On my previous email system (Lotus Domino) users were still able to recive emails when their quota was reached - they just weren't allowed to send an email.

Can this 'feature' be configured on vpopmail?

Regards,

Mon

Smartass answer - "no, it's a quota!"

More practical answer - "there really isn't a mechanism on the quotas that deal with this in this manner, although I agree that it would be very nice."

The problem here is that the quota status is what triggers the response message from the server "This account is over quota".

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

thedaver,

Yes - it would seem there is no way to implement this 'feature'

It would be nice to see an inbound and outbound quota feature as this is sometimes what is a real requirement in a business email system.

My users also seem to have problems loggin in when their quota is reached - thus they cannot delete any emails to get below the quota! Do you know what the problem is - I assume it is with courier-imap/vchkpw - and how to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Mon

I believe that quotas include temp space used to "move" a file from a real folder to Trash. Not enough available quota to write the file again? No move to Trash. Call the Admin.

I really don't like working with quotas on a per user basis. Try user a per-domain quota.

thedaver,

I don't like the idea using quotas per domain. This means one greedy user can affect the whole domain - or is this not how per domain quotas work?

Regards,

Mon

That's it, but it allows all users to benefit from a pool of space. You need to work on education and scripts to manage the email quota use; you've identified the tradeoff.

Why are you so concerned with quotas? Disk space is super cheap!?

There are several reasons for my concern.

1. Disk space is limited on my CentOS server - I'll probably eventually have to use NSF to store the emails on a different server.

2. Disk space may be cheap but backup is not! The amount of emails you can backup is not determine by how much disk space you have but your backup media space.

3. If you don't set a quota, people will never learn how to manage their emails - as you pointed out, education is important!

OK - it seems I will just have to live without this 'feature' until some genius can come up with a patch for it.

Regards,

Mon

1) Fair enough,
3) Very true, except that if you look at Yahoo Mail, Google GMail, etc... the user community is being trained that 1GB is the new baseline.

2) You should be aware that the use of an rsync script to backup the files to ANOTHER machines HARD DISK can be very easy, very economical, and very easy to recover from. I suggest you review your backup approach and policies on this one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back