Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
I got a new laptop after my previous one had the DC jack come detached from the motherboard and was costly t fix. Anyways I bought an enclosure to transfer the files on the hard drive from my broken laptop onto my new laptop. I can see al of the folders and the folder sizes are all viewable, however when i try to open one of the files i receive the message ""You don't currently have permission to access this folder" click continue to permanently gain acces to this folder then "you have been denied permission to access this folder" to gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab.

Is there a way to fix this so i can access these files and transfer onto my new hard drive?

Open up My Computer and Right click on the drive, go to Properties. Click on the Security tab then the Advanced button. Click on the owner tab and the Edit button. Change the owner to your/admin account account and make sure to click "Apply to subfolders" Hit Apply and it should fix it.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Did the above and it did not work. when I tried to open up a document, I received the message "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges H:\XXXXX\XXXXX.doc

Are you the Admin on the PC? Did you make sure to check the apply to subfolders option?(Did u see it list a bunch of files) Are the files/folders colored in any way, as in are the names of them blue?

If you right click on the drive in My Computer, click on the Security tab, does it have your name listed under the Users and Groups. If so what permissions do you have?

yes I am the administrator and I did select to apply to all sub folders and objects. Under group or usernames I am listed as Administrator and full control but everything i try to open is access denied.

Try this just in case:

Windows Key + R, type cmd

type: takeown /f E:\ /r /d n

where E:\ is your drive letter

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (or Vista or Win 7)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Add encrypted files to the list of possible reasons for Access Denied.

Is it only Office Documents that are giving you an access problem?
Are the any "Protection" set on the Word Documents?

Information Rights Management in Office 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back