Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Windows (ME) cannot install Modem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
AU
Visit site
I am running a dual boot ME/XP AMD900 system and have recently removed my internal ESS Modem and replaced it with a Swann (Australian)external modem on Com 2. No problems with the XP installation, but try as I might, ME keeps coming up with the "helpful"(?) error message "Windows cannot install Modem"!!
The Swann support people were just as helpful with a message: "This is a registry problem, format and re-install Windows ME" Ha, ha, easy to say but not so easy to tackle.
If I format C: I could lose my boot into XP unless I am very careful. I think I will either reinstall my internal ESS modem and return my external Swann, or eventually quit ME on my PC to have a single Win XP OS!
Any simple ideas to get the ME system to be happy with my new modem will be appreciated.
Rosco (Australia)

Boot to safe mode in ME.
Remove all com ports and modems (as well as any "Other Devices") in device manager.
Restart, and hopefully it will detect new hardware, install the com ports, and the modem.
If not, run the add hardware wizard from control panel, and when prompted, insert the modems's disk. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back