Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"users" cannot browse anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven1

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
US
After recovering from the blaster virus I had alot of wierd things going on but managed to fix most of it.The only thing I cannot figure out, is why users cannot load webpages anymore. I have went through all the securities but to no avail.I have also tried most everything under this forum. I dont like the idea of making my son a administrator to load webpages.By the way I was able to load tek-tips home page under a user name, but when I tried to move through the site to look at this forum, the page loaded and indicated it was done loading but there was no gui...go figure.The google home page looks blank except for the google logo at the top.I have sp4 installed,IE6.I'm running out of ideas.I have a feeling thats its something so simple yetI cant figure it out.Anyone else had this problem? what gives?

As a guess you need to re-register some .dlls.

Start, run and enter each of these in turn (or copy and paste the lot to a file called ir_reg.bat and run it:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll

2. Or, you could rebuild IE from scratch with a fresh set of files. This is a conservative and safe approach:

I had already tried that.Didnt work either.

Relax your security settings, particularly in regard to accepting cookies.

I tried that also. The setting are all the same as far as internet security goes for all user including administrators.So far I know the users home page does not load unless I make him a administrator.His a power user also.Tek-tips site seems to be ok though.One other thing I might point out is that when I to bring up norton systemsworks I get the program window to come up but the tabs are blank and it seems to freeze up a little.I'm wondering if this could be a Java or active x error?? I have ran ad aware,checked for errors in the registry,reset browser settings,and check group policies.Never ran into this problem before.I will try doing a reinstall next. %-)

OK I dont Know what I did but it's fixed!! I tried one of Carrs advice on another browser issue and I believe that was the fix.
CARR Said--Shut down all progams and go to Start > Run
Type in each of these commands seperately and hit OK. Wait for confirmation.

regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll

regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll

Restart your pc.
I recieved an "specified module cannot be found error" on the second command,not sure what thats about or if I even need that module.Anyone know what module that might be for?
Anyways...I'm a happy camper its working now!

Cheers Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back