Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"User Name" Problem, Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBones

Technical User
Mar 13, 2004
US
I am new at this but {due to slow tech support } eager to learn.
Problem: At work I am on a LAN. A computer broke and is being replaced with a different used computer. The working computer is comming off of another LAN from work. Here is the problem. Using windows XP Pro. I can not add a user on the new used computer and get it to logg on while connectted to the LAN. If I am on the internet I can add a user and use it. But when I disconnect it from the internet and hook it up to the LAN {without internet} I can not use the new User that I just added. I get an error stating that I am not using the proper domain. It seems that it will only logg on while on the old domain. How can I fix this ?
Thank you for your patients and any help.

Has this machine been joined to the new domain? Does the user trying to log on have an account on that domain?

smash-thnx for the reply
--Has this machine been joined to the new domain?--
I do not believe so, I do not know how to do that, is there a link showing me how to do this ? "joining to the new domain".

--Does the user trying to log on have an account on that domain? --
yes, I am able to logg onto the LAN in my room on other computers as an Administrator.

You keep mentioning lan - is this lan runnin a windows domain or is it a workgroup? Right click on My Computer, Properties. Then look at the Computer Name tab. If you need to join the windows domain, that's where you do it. If you're not using a windows domain, you need to log onto the local computer, not the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back