Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Upgrade" from WIN98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

allroy

MIS
Feb 27, 2002
CA
I think I may already have my answer, but thought I'd just throw this out to see if anyone knows any tricks.

We have a few users in our organization using older PC's with 98SE installed. We would like to "upgrade" these to NT4, for added security, etc. We thought about just upgrading the RAM (they currently have 32mb),and upgrading to W2K, but the Dell warranty plans expire later this year, and they will be replaced at that time.

I know that NT4 can't write to FAT32 partitions, so when we try installing from the cd, it can't copy the boot loader to the hard disk. Is there any way to get around this, short of backing up essential files and doing a clean install?

Thanks!

Nope!, you'll have to format the HDD before or while installing Win NT, no way to install it on FAT 32 partition.

OH Contrar! Partition magic V7.0 will convert FAT32 to regular old normal FAT and re-size partitions

How is MS NT is different from WIN 95/98? What do I need to know about MS NT that will help me answer questions during a job interview?

Sooo, if I convert the drive to FAT first, I should be able to install NT as an "upgrade"?

Nope! The only way you can upgrade any box to a version of NT is if there's already a same or lower version of NT on the box. Anything else will have to be a full install.

NT will run only on Dos or FAT NOT FAT32:

NT is much more secure then any of the previous Microsoft NOS.

Most Drivers have to be geared towards NT because HAL (Hardware Access Layer) will not let any device directly access the hardware.

There are default, roaming and mandatory profiles.

The registry structure is similiar to 98's

NT 4.0 does not support firewire, usb, plug/play and does not have a device manager.

NT 4.0 version ran their servers in a PDC (primary domain controller) bdc (backup domain controller) configuration

In a network especially NT4.0 Wins, DNS and TCP/IP play very important parts.

Browser functions and replication are important functions.

Now if you look these up and study them you should be in good shape for the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back