Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Up close and personal" 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
It grates my ears.

>I really don't understand why you have so much difficultly acknowledging the difference between Creole and Cajun.

I am not disputing anything, CC. You must be in a foul mood today.

Thank you Dimandja. That clears it all up, especially in light of the post from the other thread. Yep, I'm in a foul mood.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Meanwhile, back at the topic...

I heard a tease on CNN Headline News this morning that sounded like failing effort at one of those grade school exercises in which you have to place the given sentences in the proper order.

Paraphrased:

"Heavy winds tore through the high plains last night. Utility workers worked through the night, and finally got the power restored. At one point, as many as 15,000 people lost their power."

As to real news sources in the available in the US: BBC online, BBC America on cable (if you're lucky enough to have it offered), and "The News Hour with Tom Lehrer" on PBS are all wonderfully short on sound bites.

Dimandja: you don't need a radio for NPR, they have a Program Stream available at npr.org, as well as a wonderful archive of past shows.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

<off topic again.I also had a difficult time distinguishing between the two, even after reading (twice!) CajunCenturion's link. I checked on the Wikipedia website, and I think that they sum up the differences between the two rather neatly:
Outside Louisiana the distinctions between Cajun and Louisiana Creole cuisine have been blurred. However, Creole dishes tend to be more continental, although using local produce. Cajun victuals are more spicy hot and tend to be more hearty. But outside Louisiana the distinctions are academic. (emphisis mine.)
Check out the Cajun and Creole articles on Wikipedia for more information.
</off topic>

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

<Sorry. I've lived in Louisiana most of my life. I'd much rather talk about food.>

The problem, Dimandja, is that you have gotten mixed up in a holy war that has been raging in south Louisiana for quite some time now. And as SF0751 has pointed out, it's a holy war that really doesn't make much sense to folk outside of south Louisiana.

These authors say there used to be a difference between Cajun and Creole cuisine, but there really isn't one any more:

These say there is still a difference:

I grew up in New Orleans (traditionally, a place for creole cuisine) but have spent the last 23 years in Lafayette (2 hours along Interstat 10 to the west, traditionally, a place for cajun cuisine).

In my opinion, there is a difference, but it can be hard to define and is based on subtleties of spices used, ratios of spices used, and some core ingredients. The only way I think I could make anyone understand the difference would be to have two similar dishes side-by-side and taste both.

I think the best advice comes from the link I posted to the page at tobasco.com: I say, stop thinking about it. Just eat it.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

U.S. broadcast news industry just use that phrase and so many others like 'unbelievable', 'things will never be the same', 'something she will never forget', and 'luckily'(intead of fortunatly), because they are trying to sound 'current'.

I think an equivalent situation would exist in many places around the world.

For example: (Stepping beyond what Americans eat as Chinese food in malls across the country...) Differences between Cantonese, Schezwan, Hunan, etc. exist due to both ethnic and geographic conditions. The rest of the world (obviously, America included) refers to the food as Chinese food. While we may distinguish between some of the major styles (Cantonese, Schezwan, Hunan) we would not be able to pick up on other subtleties.

Mexican, French the same thing. How about Mediterranean? How many times have you heard food described as Mediterranean? That's a ridiculously large area to ascribe a "flavor" and style to.

~Thadeus

As this thread seems to have wandered onto my favourite hobby....

Thadeus How about Mediterranean? How many times have you heard food described as Mediterranean? That's a ridiculously large area to ascribe a "flavor" and style to.

Well, actually, no! Similar ingredients are grown all around the region: olives, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, beans, citrus, rice, herbs (like oregano, marjoram and thyme), lots of fish, lamb, rabbit and wildfowl. It all tends to be peasant food; fill up on small (cheap) vegetable dishes and eke out the meat.

The similarities between, say French and Turkish Mediteranean food are much greater than those between the food of Mediteranean and Northern France or the Loire region. Also there has been a huge trade and cultural interchange throughout the Med for centuries - which must have helped to spread the various dishes around the region.

CajunCenturion Your link puzzeled me too, it concentrates on Creole food, then moves onto Arcadian - without mentioning that Cajun food has its roots (?) in Arcadian.

<aside> The only Cajun/Creole food I've ever tried in the US, has had a strong resemblance to wallpaper paste and charcoal (colour, texture and taste) - but maybe I've only eaten it in the wrong places. I was really disappointed because it "sounds" so interesting.</aside>

Back on topic, I find the BBC World Service gives a pretty good in-depth coverage of international news, with relatively few buzz words. Much better than UK domestic news.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

No, wallpaper paste is Hawaiian cuisine. At least that is the closest analog to poi I can think of.

Cajun and creole should both be spicy.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

I would say when they offer Mediterranean food we should expect variety...

But I can never distinquish between Chinese and Japaneese sushi, can you?

rosieb:
A Cajun friend of mine was in JFK airport and saw in one of the restaraunts in the terminal a sign advertising gumbo. When he asked, "What kind?", he was brightly told, "Vegetable." He said he didn't think they understood why he left the place laughing.

There are Cajun expats all over the world doing great things with Cajun food -- but there is a troublingly large number who seem to think Cajun food consists of "burn it, put it on rice, and dowse it in pepper sauce". And to the best of my knowledge, the only one who still regularly "blackens" food is Paul Prudhomme, who is credited with popularizing the technique.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214
Okaaay, I probably ate in a similar place, the only possible adjectives lay somewhere between "boring" and "vaguely unpleasant".

Where do I look? I'm not aware of anywhere in London (or UK for that matter) renowned for that style of food. There's tons on the Internet ( looks promising) but I'd really appreciate a recommendation on the "genuine" cooking, I'm not interested in Cajun/Creole for the mass market - I take cooking (and eating) very seriously.

Rosie

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

Rosie

rosieb - Maybe a thread in TTUK?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Oops, sorry.

Rosie

It's okay here roseib. I was offering that as a suggestion.

Good Luck
--------------

Somehow I doubt we've many cajun/creole experts there, but we do have a tendency to ramble way off any topic at the drop of a hat.

Rosie

Not to mention people ready to snipe at each other at the drop of a hat [smile]

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

No, you have to understand, we don't really snipe - it's teasing - on the rare occasions it get's out of hand, the moderators take action - firmly.

Actually most of it is really pretty affectionate - we're friends. And with the Meets, many of us have met - so the more savage insults are based on "in" jokes.

Don't knock it - if you've a personal problem: sick family member / unemployment /trouble at work / etc. - you'll get tons of help and sympathy. Maybe not all online, a huge amount now happens off-line.

I've made some really good friends thru TTUK.

Sorry CC done it again, hijacked the thread, but I couldn't let that run.

Rosie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back