Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Up close and personal" 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
It grates my ears.

It does mine, too. I don't think it would so much if the phrase hadn't been so overuses by the U.S. broadcast news industry.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I too have noticed that tendency of U.S. broadcasters. Once some movie comes out, or some illiterate celebrity is interviewed, and some "hip" phrase is thrown about, the broadcasters will use it ad nauseaum.

Yeah. That's probably because, in my opinion, that a lot of U.S. broadcasters simply aren't very good journalists.

so much of U.S. broadcast news is simply collections of sound bites and 10-second video clips.

TANSTAAFL!!

>so much of U.S. broadcast news is simply collections of sound bites and 10-second video clips.

How true. After I came to the US, one of the things I missed the most -- besides properly spiced food -- was real news. CNN tried to fix that -- to no avail. The CNN format was soon taken over and turned into a tabloid by Fox News Network. So, we are back to square one: no real news, plenty of inane sound bytes, and lots of bad English.

I think the various cable news networks do better, although CNN just fell off the pier for so many reasons.

The other cable news networks' off-primetime listings often provide daily shows with in-depth analysis. You just have to hunt around.

TANSTAAFL!!

Probably the reason for the sound bites and the 10 second video clips is because that reflects the "window of opportunity" to get the attention of the average viewer. Lose them in those 10 seconds and you've lost them permanently, no matter how good the story.

If you are looking for good journalism (as opposed to what is normally offered on most US television), I'd like to suggest that you turn off the television and turn on your radio instead - try listening to National Public Radio. I've been a member of my local NPR station for over 10 years now, and I seldom listen to anything else.

As for the "properly spiced food" - well, you can always move to San Antonio, Texas and enjoy wonderful Mexican/Tex-Mex food!

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

My two cents:

While it may not be good grammar, the "Up Close and Personal" segments of the Olympics are my favorite clips to watch - that's where I heard the phrase first, and that's what it brings to my mind now when people say it.

American journalists may not be the greatest, but they're all we have, so we may as well make the most of them.

As for properly spiced food - you obviously haven't tried our food in New Orleans. You can't get much better than that!

I used to listen to NPR quite a lot, I still do while driving. But, strangely enough, I don't have a radio at home -- this just hit me! My home appliances include computers and other visual equipment.

After suffering through what I considered "flavorless" sandwiches, I had discovered the joys of Mexican food -- especially after a glass of Dos Equis. Also, I had a Cajun roommate some time ago, who coached me on Creole food -- I still look for Jambalaya whenever I can.

Dimandja said:
I had a Cajun roommate some time ago, who coached me on Creole food
Is that what you meant to say? Cajun and Creole are NOT the same thing. :)

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

>Cajun and Creole are NOT the same thing.

Hummm... Yeah, I did. I always thought both Cajun and Creole cuisines can be found in Louisiana. And, I couldn't distinguish them, if I tried.

Then, there is this:

"If you are a native of south Louisiana, you are most likely Acadian or "cajun" to some degree. Even though often regarded as "creoles", there is a difference in the hertiage between the two people. "

I offer you the following site Creole vs Cajun for enjoyment.

Before you get yourself all worked up - I am not stating that either is better than the other, only that they are different.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Dimandja said:
Hummm... Yeah, I did. I always thought both Cajun and Creole cuisines can be found in Louisiana. And, I couldn't distinguish them, if I tried.
Yes, both can be found in South Louisiana, but it's quite easy to tell them apart, if you know what the differences are. :)

Yes indeed, there most definately is difference in the heritage between these two groups.

Good Luck
--------------

CajunCenturion said:
Yes, both can be found in South Louisiana, but it's quite easy to tell them apart, if you know what the differences are.

Yes indeed, there most definately is difference in the heritage between these two groups.
Would you care enlightening the rest of us?

What part of the link that I provided do you not understand?

Good Luck
--------------

I don't know much about things Cajun. That is why I am asking "stupid" questions. My apologies.

Dimandja said:
I don't know much about things Cajun. That is why I am asking "stupid" questions. My apologies.
I don't consider your question, "Would you care enlightening the rest of us?" to be a "stupid" question. I do however find that not reading a previously offered link that answers that question to be somewhat disrespectful of contributions already included in the discussion. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just consider that you missed that post.

If you, after having read that link, or even the link that you provided, still have questions about the differences between Creole and Cajun, please do not hesitate to ask.

Good Luck
--------------

In the link immediately preceding mine, you said "Yes, both can be found in South Louisiana, but it's quite easy to tell them apart, if you know what the differences are.

Yes indeed, there most definately is difference in the heritage between these two groups."

My comment was directed at your tendency to offer opinions without any explanation -- you did this twice today (do I have to show the threads? Ok, try thread1256-967118).

Also, that a Cajun friend introduced me to Creole food is perfectly normal: Creole food is part of Cajun diet. See "Kalalu Gumbo", for example.

Yes Dimandja, but in the post preceeding the one you just referenced, is the link which provides an answer to your question. That's the post I'm going just assume that you missed. It begins with the sentence, "I offer you the following site Creole vs Cajun for enjoyment."

Kalalu Gumbo is a Creole dish, specifically, a Carribean gumbo. Just because it's enjoyed by Cajuns, doesn't make it Cajun cuisine. I can tell you first hand that Cajuns enjoy a good Spaghetti too. Does that make Spaghetti part of Cajun cuisine?

I really don't understand why you have so much difficultly acknowledging the difference between Creole and Cajun. What's the big deal?

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back