Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Unidentified Network" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shumi99

Programmer
Mar 3, 2010
US
Hi,

Here is my setup.

2 machines = 1 with win7 (64bit) and the other with WinXP

pc 1 is connected to the internet (via modem) and has two ethernet cards (both working properly).
pc 2 is connected to the crossover cable which connects into the 2nd ethernet card on pc 1.

Both machines can surf the internet, both machines can "see" each other & we can share files between each other. Both machines are in the same workgroup. everything works fine.

The only little annoying thing is that the win7 machine says "unidentified network - access type=no internet acces" for the 2nd PC YET the internet is working and everything is working properly.

Can somebody please help me get rid of/fix this "Unidentified Network" annoyance becuase as I mentionned, everything is woking.

please let me know.

thanks

As I mentionned,

Both machines can surf the internet, both machines can "see" each other & we can share files between each other. Both machines are in the same workgroup. everything works fine.

Will this fix (the 1st fix) fix the "stupid" "unidentified network" in the network icon?

Make a System Restore point and try it is all I can advise never experiencing the problem myself.

I suspect that if you changed your Networking to not involve a Crossover cable and substituted a Router the problem would fix itself, perhaps. Of course that could be more expensive than you want. I wonder if some sort of hub/switch would be a cheaper alternative?

your points did not work.

here is my situation:

both machines can surf the internet, both machines can "see" each other & we can share files between each other. Both machines are in the same workgroup. everything works fine there.

The only little annoying thing is that the win7 machine says "unidentified network - access type=no internet acces" for the 2nd PC YET the internet is working and everything is working properly.

whY!! the internet is working. it's working on both!!! we copy files to each other left & right but on my win7 it says "unidentified network - no internet access" BUT she does have internet working.

please help me

thanks,
f1

Strictly speaking what the Win7 machine is saying is correct. The mini-network you have between your two machines does not have internet capability - that is being provided by the other nic which is a separate network.

The reason both machines have access is because the machine with the two nics is acting as a bridge between the two networks.

Jock

ok, so why/how do i fix it. tecnically, it DOES have internet. so it should say 'brisged internet o rshared internet, NOT NO internet.

i need to fix this annoyance.

thanks

If you do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the problem machine what are the DNS servers listed?
Mark down the IP of the DNS server it is getting and then set static DNS on the windows seven machine with the primary as the one it usually gets and the secondary with the IP of the DNS server of the ISP.(you could try using one of googles DNS servers as the secondary 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)
Windows Vista and Windows 7 both check DNS as part of the Internet access if it cannot query DNS it wont think it has Internet access.
What kind of modem connection is it?If it is a high speed connection they would be better off using a router as ICS is buggy at best.

high speed dsl. i have everything set to "obtain automatically".

I shouldn't have to do what you're saying.

it worked [erfectly with 2 xp machines. now that 1 of the machines is win7 it's a stupid win7 problem.

there'a gotta be a work aroun.

anybody?

tx

Is it a problem with UPnP? Bridged and shared connections should be identified if UPnP is enabled, but may not be recognised if the feature is turned off.

have you checked the event log for any errors that may be related to your problem?

Have you tried doing the following: (on both pc's)

At a command prompt:
1) type: ipconfig /release
2) type: ipconfig /renew
3) type: ipconfig /flushdns

see if the above helps...

I've tried htis:

1) type: ipconfig /release
2) type: ipconfig /renew
3) type: ipconfig /flushdns

no avail.

UPNP? Where do I verify that?

upnp is startted & auto,