Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Unable to find media or blank media" ?????!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

loafster

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
GB
Hi,

Can anyone help me out here? I have set up a daily backup job which ran fine in testing, and on the first night. Accordingly, I switched the tape (formatted as DAILY, labeled as Friday) and confidently expected it to work again the next night. However, it failed, with the alert email log file giving the following error - "Unable to find this media or a blank media. (MEDIA=DAILY)"

Why should the job fail when the media name is the same for all the tapes I was planning to use? I could label them as Mon, Tues, Wed, etc., but then I would need to create 4 separate jobs - not ideal.

I am not using media pools or rotation schemes, as it seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and anyway, we use a similar "daily" job on our old tape backup solution, using Arcserve 6.6. Is this something to do with version 11 specifically?

I suspect there is a possible problem with the Media ID numbers - does this make sense, and how can I solve this issue?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks muchly in advance.

In the 'destination' tab of your backup job, use an * (no media defined) instead of the name DAILY, leave al other settings unchanged. This should work for you.

regards

I have been using the * for media pool name and I still am having the same problem as loafster. Arcserve 9 on widnows 2000, the job is set to append, any media then blank from ym tape autoloader but lately it has started saying it cant locate any media?
I'm going to rebuild the server from stratch this weekend if no one has any advice.
Sean

* is not valid for a media pool name.

If media pools are used the tapes need to either be unformated or in the scratch set.

Database corruption can cause unable to find media. Specifically asmedia and the "r" files.

David,
You're right, I meant I was using * for the tape set in the media pool (GROUP 0) in this case. But I have had CA tell me to check my "r" files but not the asmedia, what are those?
Thanks
Sean

I am experiencing this same issue. Our jobs fail with E3831. This new setup on BAB11 is two weeks old. All patches have been applied. I have several groups setup across several libraries. It'll randomly fail on a different job. Our workaround has been to reboot the server, then restart the failed job. Almost sounds like a problem with ASTASK.

For details on the "r" files, see What are the VLDB File Types? faq478-3985.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back