Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Trimmed" Average

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedgely

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
GB
i have a query that calculates an average value from a column of integers,however i now need to "trim off" the top and bottom say, 2% of the values and calculate the average of the remaining values. is this possible?
i have the follwoing which trims off the minimum and maximum values, but i need to use a percentage rather than just min and max. Hope this makes sense
Code:
AVGTurnRound = CASE WHEN CAST(COUNT(*)-2 AS FLOAT) = 0 THEN 0 ELSE
convert(decimal(10,2),(sum(turnroundtime)-min(turnroundtime)-max(turnroundtime))/cast(count(*)-2 as float))/100 END

Cheers, Craig
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere

If you really need to eliminate the specific percentage of rows you could do something like the following:

declare @myResults TABLE (id int identity(1, 1), Turnroundtime)

insert into @myResults
select Turnroundtime
from Table
order by turnroundtime

Now you have a table variable @myResults that has all of your values plus a "row number" -- the id -- So you can get a count of the table and select with a where clause

select Avg(turnroundtime)
from @myResults
where id > (2% of total) and id < (total - 2%)

Why not use the top xx percent clause ??

Select top 96 percent * from table where id-column not in (select top 2 percent id-column from table)

Grtz,

Kalin

This requires one extra correlated query/derived table.

Post entire query here (*** fingers-crossed it is not 76786 lines long :p ***).

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back