Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"top" command

Status
Not open for further replies.

asidfreek

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2000
US
Need help understanding the full details of the top command ex: what the state and res mean and all that good stuff.. Thanks

is this a solaris command, i know of it on linux, but i don't have it on any of the Solaris 3 upwards machines ... Did you download it?

Umm... I am the LAN administrator for our company, and the development team has this command running on a Solaris box, but they might have downloaded it from somewhere.

PID is the process id, username not. threads are kinda parallel processes and nice describes the nicelevel.
Res means resources, or how much RAM the process is wasting. State describes the process' current state, it can be sleeping, waiting, using cpu time or simply running.

regards
chenn

"top" is not a downloaded program, it is on almost every UNIX platform, I agree with chenn , "man top" will give you all the info you need.

Tony

Sorry Tony but most Solaris boxes I have used have only had top available if it was installed specifically on that machine, I do not believe it comes with the standard Solaris packages (Do not know about Solaris 8).

Ged Jones

Top man

You can download TOP for Sun solaris on the sunnfreeware.com site. It is formatted as a sun package and very easy to install.
To reply to the toher replies, top never came with sun solaris.

Top is not available as a standard Solaris package on Solaris 8 either. You will have to download and install.

Mike.

"top" is not in Solaris 8 for either architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back