Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Too much memory paging" at midnight 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpux10

Technical User
May 27, 2006
IR
Hi,

I have seen this on a couple of MX-ONE 3.2 SP4 systems now. I see in my alarm list that at around 1:00 AM (some nights), alarm code 31 (Too much memory paging)and then code 320 (TELEPHONY CALLS THROTTLED) is seen in all LIMs.

I don't believe I have scheduled any tasks manually on the MX-ONE servers. Is there something the servers do at this time every night or some nights that's causing these alarms?

check your crontab. this can be caused by safetybackup.

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Hi,

This is my crontab, I don't think this is causing it, is it?:

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/var/tmp/crontab_new installed on Sun Jan 10 16:28:43 2010)
# (Cron version V5.0 -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.12 2004/01/23 18:56:42 vixie Exp $)
03 03 * * * test -x /opt/eri_sn/bin/cleanHbPengine && /opt/eri_sn/bin/cleanHbPengine 2>&1
00 02 * * * test -x /opt/eri_sn/bin/resync_cluster_data && /opt/eri_sn/bin/resync_cluster_data 2>&1
0-59/5 * * * * /opt/eri_sn/bin/check_core_files 2>&1

Perhaps it is seccheck.
Log in root LIM 1 as root. cd to /home/eri_sn_admin/install_sw and run "sh maintenance.sh seccheck status"

If it is enabled, run "sh maintenance.sh seccheck disable"
Now see if the alarms still happen.

Another thought, do you have an anti-virus package installed? It could be that the scan or update process is causing this problem.

Yes it seems that seccheck is enabled. What does seccheck do? Will disabling it do any harm?

About antivirus, I haven't installed any antivirus manually unless it is installed by default...

seccheck is a scripted security check which is part of Suse linux and runs daily, weekly and monthly checks.

I can however confirm that with seccheck enabled you will get "memory paging alarms" and if calls are attempted at that time you will get 320 alarms.

We turn it of as a matter of course because of the risk to telephony calls when the scripts are running.
Aastra know that this is the case because it is mentioned in Alex and they have provided the mechanism to turn it off.

You can google seccheck to find out more about what it does and decide yourself if the features provided are of use.

Disabling will not do any harm.

Thanks a lot himdp!

seccheck is indeed causing the problem as I checked in /etc/cron.d, the weekly security check is performed on Mondays at 1 AM which is exactly the time I got the alarms.

cpux10,
Glad we got to the bottom of that one. Thanks for the star by the way.

Hi, I have the same problem , but which is the root password?
I´m logging as eri_sn_admin , but i can´t execute the command.

Thanks

aau2,

check with your system provider.
root passwords tend to be changed...

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back