Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"too may fields define" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cottontop

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
US
While trying to modify a table with 135 fields, mainly type text, some date, I get the "too many fields defined" error!

I've compacted and repaired the database, modified the length of many of the text fields to low numbers, but still get the error message.

Any ideas other than splitting up the table?

Thanks,

cottontop:

Access 2K allows up to 255 fields per table; however, it limits the record size to 2000 characters.

It's possible that even at 135 fields you may be bumping into the 2000 character limit.

If you have any large text fields, see if you can convert them to memo type -- memo type and OLE fields are excluded from the character limit.

HTH

Larry De Laruelle

Thanks LarryDeLaruelle!

Because I have so much invested in previously built tables with text fields, I think I'll try splitting the table in two, then modify the fields in the two, then combine them back into one using "make table" queries.

Oh, btw, I'm using 2003 and it looks like that limit wasn't changed... no duh!

I was looking for an easy fix, but finding out, easy aint so easy! [suprise]

Cottontop:

That's the way it is with Access. But, if it was too easy we wouldn't have such cushy jobs.

Larry De Laruelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back