Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Too many arguments" error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdofParadise

Technical User
Sep 21, 2007
US
I created a decode statment in a derived field with approximately 443 arguments. I received a statment saying that there's too many arguments. Is there a way around this?

I have never maxed out a decode and I have done some big ones. Try using a case statment instead of a decode.

Specializing in ReportSmith Training and Consulting

Too Many Arguments usually means you have an extra right parenthesis.

I have maxed out a derived field. The max has to do with the number of characters. When I shortened my table aliases, field aliases and report variables, I was able to squeek more into the derived field.

Anyway, "Too Many Arguments" usually has to do with an extra right parenthesis.

RS Geek
rsgeek@wi.rr.com

I used a decode statement, so I only used 2 left parentheses and 2 right parentheses. I confirmed this with a find and replace search.

You're right, however, about there being too many characters. I concatenated several fields in order to perform the function I needed to do. There's no way for me to shorten the concatenations, since each field plays a part in determining what cost number an employee should have. The cost numbers themselves are quite lengthy (13 characters for each cost number). I guess I need to try a case statement as Charles indicated, but that would take me a long time to analyze and create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back