Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"There is an IP conflict with another system on the network"

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnegattech

Technical User
Jun 19, 2004
US
Have server 2008; linksys BEF41SX end point VPN router and workstation with XP Pro.

One of the work stations gets a IP conflict message. DHCP is set up on the linksys router and disabled on the server. no one else has this IP that is in conflict. The DHCP table on the router just shows the workstation that is having the problem. The other 11 Workstations do not show up within the DHCP table, however they all have IP address and are logging in ok. Every computer is set up as dynamic with the exception of 3 printers which also do not have the IP address in question.
Removed the IP address from the DHCP table for this computer and had computer pull a new IP which was a different number, but still states during login that IP is a conflict but even with the new number no one else has this number as well.
Any ideas?

The conflicted IP is within the scope of the router.
This problem started to so itself as soon as we replaced the old server with the brand new one. I do believe that it is something with the server at this point.

Are you using the IPV4 or the IPV6 on the server?
I use the IPV4 and remove the IPV6.

How about running angry ip scanner to see what shows up?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Some desperate suggestions.

When a PC is turned off - it's not really off unless you pull the power cord.

Have you checked that the IP address of the DHCP server is not included in the DHCP address range?

Have you checked that the subnet mask on DHCP server is correct?

Have you checked that the subnet mask is correct on all static IP devices?

Finally, you could use ipconfig/release on each PC in the network and then shut them down in turn pulling the power cords for good measure.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

ran angry IP on the workstation in question and the only IP listed is the workstation in question. Yet the workstation tells me Windows system error: there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

Again Everything is the same except the server. The workstations are the same and the router is the same. Replaced the server from server 2003 to small business server 2008. It has got to bge the server. This started as soon as I started up the new server.
I was hoping to get someone on here that had also seen this problem with 2008

barnegattech,

Have you check the hosts file on all your computers (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to see if there is an entry in it causing problems? I ran into that once.

Good luck

kmills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back