Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"the specified port in unknown"...??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayaboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
Need assistance in installing an HP Laserjet 1000 printer locally (currently have it set up to share, etc. on daughter's cpu)...we've been having issues with this for awhile now. The USB ports on our Dell Dimension 3000 (P4 2.8ghz/512mb RAM, running XP) do not work. Tried dis-abling in Device Mgr., rebooted cpu, but still nothing....tried installing in Safe Mode--nothing...tried everything that was suggested on this site, to no avail. Plug n' Play not working... Yesterday, I got a USB 2.0 PCI add-on card and installed it, thinking it would do the trick. It recognizes/works for EVERYTHING except the printer!!! what gives?? it's not just the HP, we have a Brother copy/fax/scanner that we use for scanning docs., and it is not recognized/nor can be installed either...just when it looks like install is done, we get "the specified port is unknown" error...also, when using the Install Wizard and am prompted to select the port, there are no USB ports available--only COM & Serial...??? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Im guessing this is a USB printer, did you install the HP drivers? Try installing the Manufacturer drivers before plugging in the device. Does the printer work without being shared? Im not clear which PC is unable to use the printer. If it is the Local PC, the issue is probably a driver. If The local PC can print, but shared Users can not, it may be a permissions issue.

Yes, it is a USB printer & Yes, I installed the HP drivers (directly from disc). I don't think it's a permissions issue--we have 3 cpu's on the home network (wireless)...the printer is plugged into my daughter's cpu and we can ALL print without a hitch (our objective is to install locally to office cpu & let daughter put her cpu back in her room!) :)
It's just when trying to install locally to the OFFICE cpu is when the error occurs. When installing the drivers it looks like all is running smoothly, but when prompted to connect USB to cpu it doesn't recognize and cpu will just sit & wait...If I try and take the Plug n' Play route, it'll download the drivers but just when it looks like the install is complete, I'll get "the specified port is unknown" error. If I try and install printer through Add Printer wizard, the USB port in which I need to install to is not listed....any ideas???

Yes, it's a USB printer and I did install the drivers directly from the disc (prior to plugging in device), when prompted to connect USB cord to PC it doesn't 'detect' new connection and PC will just sit there... If I try to take the Plug n' Play route, it will look as if the install is going to work, but right at the end I get "the specified port is unknown" error. If I try to use the Add Printer Wizard I cannot 'find' the USB port that I need to connect to--only COM & Serial ports...(is it possible to 'add' USB from here???)
I don't think it's a permissions issue, since the printer is connected locally to my daughter's PC and we're sharing it from there without a problem (have 3 PC's on home wireless network--and would like to put our daughter's PC back in her room and out of the office). I installed USB 2.0 card in extra PCI slot---this works fine but still does not detect the printers--same error!!! any ideas???

You may have a mobo issue or some strange USB driver issue but possibly there is a problem with your BIOS settings. I think it's worth eliminating that as as possibility.

What are your BIOS settings with respect to USB? For instance, is onboard USB enabled, or disabled? Is legacy USB support enabled or disabled? Or don't you have these options in the BIOS?

I suggest you Boot & go into the BIOS (I think you hold down the F2 key for a Dell at power on to get into the BIOS) Follow the advice here faq602-6254 to record current settings and then post the current USB settings here for advice.

Here's a thought, though it's kind of left field. Do you have something like Norton Internet Security installed (or some other firewall app)? I've seen it in the past where Norton has caused all sorts of wonderful, unexplained issues just like this one.
Also, try uninstalling all the drivers, reboot the PC and then just plug in the printer...if Windows pops and says Hey, i've found a device, but i dont know what the heck it is, chances are, your USB ports are just fine and you're having a definite software issue.

You may also want to check here
It's not specific to your issue, but gives general USB conectivity troubleshooting tips for your printer.

This link is more generic troubleshooting:

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

FIXED IT!! thanx Linney for the link(to another link):) & thanx to everyone else for their time/input...here's what I found:
...the clean spooler utility I used to fix the spooler problem (part of Windows Resource Kit) removed the USB Monitor registry key. To fix:
Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors. Look for a USB Monitor entry. Before doing anything else, backup the registry entry by right clicking on "Monitors" and selecting "Export". Give it a name and locaction so that you can put it back if you have problems later. If "USB Monitor" is not there, add it by right-clicking on Monitors, New, Key. Name the new key "USB Monitor". Once added, right click on the new key and select New, String Value. Name the new value "Driver". In the right portion of regedit, right click on the new "Driver" value and select "Modify". Make the value data "usbmon.dll". If there is an "HPUMON" entry (or the like), delete it. Disconnect the USB cable to the printer. Run the "scrubber" or clean utility, reboot the machine. Reconnect the printer and install the driver software per manufacturer instuction. This fixed my problem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back