Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"The Specified Network Name is no longer available"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhiney

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
IE
Howdy,

Roughly half of my backups are failing with the above message. There is nothing consistent - a backup may run perfectly for a few nights, then fail. They do not even fail at the same point in the backup.

I'm on 9.1 (fully patched up) running on a dedicated backup server, and backing up to a NAS device. I've checked the usuals: disk space, that the servers were actually up while the backup was running, etc.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Did you find an answer? I'm having the same problem.

Is that error backing up remote machines or when it trying to write to the NAS device. Have you look at the app/system log on the media server for any network or connection problems?

We ended up installing Backup Exec on the NAS box. Everything wotked perfectly and has been doing so ever since. Speeds have almost doubled too.

It would appear as though BE is VERY finnickity about network throughput in that kind of config, with any minor glitch kicking off an error. I recommend doing the same as we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back