Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"The operation failed" in Outlook 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

columbiavol

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
US
I have searched the Internet far and wide and cannot find the solution to this problem. I uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office XP Professional. Now, whenever I click on the Send/Receive button in Outlook, I get "The operation failed". That's all. No other message, no numbers, nothing else. Just that message. I disabled script blocking in Norton AV, ran Detect and Repair, re-installed Office XP, deleted and re-created the profile, unchecked "Display a notification message when new mail arrives", changed message format from HTML to Rich Text.
I can send/receive fine in Outlook Express and when I do the Test Account Settings in Outlook, every test passes.

Any suggestions to this annoying problem?

The problem you have is still being caused by NAV's interaction with Outlook. I would recommend fully shutting NAV down (after lowering security), then going into your account settings. Typically NAV will adjust your incoming and outgoing servers. After fixing this, do a send / receive, you should receive fine. Keep in mind you may need to do this after any and all ANV updates.

C

You receive the "The operation failed. An object could not be found" error message when you click Send and Receive in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2002

This article was previously published under Q312354

SYMPTOMS
When you click Send and Receive in Microsoft Outlook, the following error message may appear:
The operation failed. An object could not be found.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, create a new profile:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Mail icon.

3. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.

If you want to be able to select a specific profile each time you start Outlook, click the General tab, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.

4. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a descriptive name for the new profile, and then click OK.

5. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account in the e-mail options, and then click Next.

6. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and then click Next.

7. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on the tabs that appear after you click More Settings.

8. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.

MORE INFORMATION
By default, Outlook Address Book and personal folder (.pst) files are automatically added to each new profile, except in Microsoft Exchange Server. Personal folder (.pst) files are not added by default in Exchange Server.

If you right-click the Microsoft Outlook icon on your desktop and then click Properties, the Mail Setup dialog box appears. You can add a new profile by following Steps 3 through 8 in the Resolution section.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
292022 OL2000: (IMO) Err Msg: Object Not Found When You Remove .PST
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
• Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition

Side note: I had to ctrl-alt-del and make sure outlook wasnt running twice. It was. After I end tasked it, everything started working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back