Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"TCP/IP Printing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdamore

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I am in the process of configuring all my printers to IP printing. I am having serveral weird problems.
Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. The problem seems to be with the spooler and it locking up. When a user goes to select a printer they are not there in their printer folder. I will have stop and start the spooler for the printer to show up. It does not happen to all PC's and it does not happen to the same type of PC's This is why I think I am having such a problem.

The PC's are all running win2k with sp2 or sp3. The printers very from HP4050's to Xrx470's.

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks
Scott

Are you running a print server, or connecting each pc via ip address. Try dumming down the driver, a HP4plus works great for almost any printer.

No I am not using a print server. I am printing via IP address or DNS name. But mostly DNS name.

Not sure how much of this has an impact, however MS has acknowledge that Spooler hotfixes in 2K conflict with SP2 and SP3. You can contact them to get an immediate fix or wait for a new SP release.

I have the same issue with printing to HP 2100 printers using the HP Jet Direct cards. I find I have to either restart the Spooler and/or the printer...

See for more info.... Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back