Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"System Resources Exceeded" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackeyCat

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
Hi! I've set up a database which has linked spreadsheets as an initial data source (the dbase pulls in certain records only). It seems to work fine except once in a while I will receive a message "System Resources Exceeded" when I try to query the spreadsheet and/or view it through the table. Are there any suggestions?

Also, Access 'marks' records in Excel that it pulls (just updates a field to have "y" in it). Once Access does that, I can no longer view the table through excel -- if I try to open it in Excel, I get a Dr. Watson error consistently. If anyone could point me in the right direction on these 2 items, I would greatly appreciate it!! The structure of the dbase is pretty simple (and works), but these type of issues are perplexing and I would love to understand exactly what's going on. Thanks in advance for you advice!

Well, I will list a few things to check until someone has a more thorough bullseye response.

1. Free space on your hard drive?
2. File size of the Excel Spreadsheet and number of rows?
3. Could it be your update of the spreadsheet is creating additional empty rows to the point of stress to the operating system to store them?

Have you thought about importing the spreadsheets as tables in Access rather than leaving them as spreadsheets?

Gary
gwinn7

Thank you Gary! Appreciate it - i did check your suggestions; and i seem to be okay on them. But, I will try your suggestion of importing - the only possible issue there is I'm pulling from hidden worksheets (need to check if that causes an issue) but it's worth giving a try!! Tx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back