Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"System Endpoint is not valid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron

Programmer
Nov 4, 1999
AU
Hi, Why does my system sometimes start up with a blue screen and the following message appears in a box: "The System Endpoint is not valid". There is a file name in the box called "ISASS.EXE". If you click "OK", the p.c. just re-boots. Is there a problem with the hard drive?
Thanks. Bye. Electron.

Any history on this? (eg, any hardware/software changes just before this started happening etc).

And what operating system/machine spec?

Hi Wolluf, It is Windows XP home, using a P4 2.4 GHz with 1 Gig RAM. Recent software additions were Hercules 5.1 sound, (which caused a few problems)and more recently, DVD Writer using Nero; but the most recent was a new 17" Samtron 76E monitor. Thanks. Bye. David.

Monitors rarely cause serious problems like this. I don't know exactly what has caused your problem from what you've said (I assume machine has been working with all new bits in place). You say sometimes happens - so presume you can get in others? Have you looked in event log (run eventvwr.msc)? when you do get in. It will probably just have same message, but it might have more clues. No devices showing as problem in device manager? You could also try running chkdsk, in case you have disk problems.

If you have system restore enabled, could try restoring to point before problem started.

Could also try a repair reinstall -

Yes, System restore fixes the problem for a session. Its one of those random annoying things. Thanks for the advice on how to try to track it down. I will try your suggestions.

The fix for this is to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

Boot with your XP CD and hit the first R for repair you see on the screen.

This should sort the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back