Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Save Password" When Creating Links to Tables in Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc27

Technical User
Sep 10, 2008
US
I inherited maintenance of Excel tools that utilize Access databases. One of the Access databases contains nothing but links to tables in a SQL database. The SQL database administrator mentioned to me that the table names in the SQL database have changed. I am going into the Access database and creating new links to the tables.

I do not know if the original table links were created with "save password" checked when the table links were created. Is there any way for me to find out from the Access database? If I check "save password", does it also save the user name, too?

Hi can only be of a little bit of help. Have just done linked database on access with MS SQL backend. Save password also saves the username. Was not using integrated login but SQL logins

I believe the password is clearly visible in the Connect column of this query:

SQL:
SELECT msysobjects.Connect, msysobjects.Name
FROM msysobjects
WHERE (((msysobjects.Type)=4));

One of my connected SQL tables has:
Code:
DSN=QualBaseDev;Description=VCD Development;UID=xxxxx;PWD=yyyyy;APP=2007 Microsoft Office system;DATABASE=QualBase

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Thank you for the help on this. I had to figure out how one of our Access databases was created. It contained nothing but linked tables, and the original creator of the db was no longer available to advise me on whether he created the linked tables with passwords saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back