Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Save as" does not work with WIndows 2000, Word, Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyonmt

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2001
I have two users that when trying to use the "save as" feature, they are denied write access. They get a message stating "Cannot save 'S:\File.doc' The folder is marked as 'Read Only'."

THey have permission to write and can copy/paste/delete in the folder. THey can save changes to a document normally, but cannot Save as a new file name.

They are running Windows 2000 with Word 97 on one machine and Word 2003 on the other. They are trying to save directly to a Novell server and the other to a Snap server running Novell permissions.

Anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

We used to have this problem with an Excel solution. I ended up writing to the C: drive then using a BAT file to move the files to the server. The problem only occurred on Windows 2000 / Office 2000 setups. It did not exist on Windows 98 / Office 97 setups and I have not seen the problem reoccur since we upgraded to Windows XP / Office XP.

Sorry not to have more encouraging advice!

Hello GoodOmens,

At least you responded. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back