Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Roaming" Notes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjay653

Technical User
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi,

I've got a Windows 2003 domain, running Lotus Notes R5. We have a semi-hot desking policy, and I'm looking for a better way to handle Notes.

At the moment, when a user logs into a machine, they have to switch User IDs to login to Notes, but what I'd like for them to do is just sit down, start Notes and it automatically logs them in. Is there any way to point Notes at the User's home drive when they login, rather than at the C drive.

I know it can be done by copying the Notes\Data folder on to the Home drive, but at 38.5Mb per user, that can turn out to be a lot of space.

You answered you own question...the best thing to do would be to move the users Data folder to their home drive. Please keep in mind, most of the 38.5MB of space used is by the actual databases (NSF) stored in the data folder. You can move the databases somewhere else - to the C drive, a network drive, etc, and just point the data direcoty in the Notes.ini to the correct place. This will allow you to have the users not have to switch user ID's, and keep large databases out of their home directory. We use a similiar setup here. As far as single sign on goes...we use Domino/Notes 6.5.1 here, which supports the use of the network/OS password being passed through to Notes. I'm not sure if R5 suppports this function, but I'm leaning towards no....

But who knows, it's been awhile since I've used R5, and maybe you can utilize this feature.

Hope this helps.
-Jon

I meant to ask, how do I let Notes know the new location of the NSF files?

Also, what are NTF files, as they total over 13Mb, whereas NSF files total about 6Mb

Thx
MJ

I dont think R5 supports multi user. If your OS is XP or 2000 get the R6 client and setup as multi user. then there id and nsf's will be stored in there profile

NTF Files are Notes Template Files. They are usually what the NSF files are created from(unless you develop your own). NTF files do not need to be stored in the data directory, or anyone in the data directory. Copies reside on the Domino server, and this isn't a big deal unlesss you have users who create local databases from these templates. You can find where Notes defines the location of the NSF files in the Notes.ini file. The line will start "Directory." It doesn't matter if R5 supports multi-user or not. Terminal services can help get the job done.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back