Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Repair" sequence can't fix boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzman111

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2003
US
Lately, on boot up my PC starts up then shuts down. On second try, a DOS screen recommends I "Launch start-up Repair" sequence. Last time I toggled "OK" to the program's finding a Restore Point and Win 7 launched apparently normally. This morning the screen informed me it could not repair the boot sequence. It then listed 9 items, e.g. "Problem Signature1 - 6.1.7600.16385," etc. The next boot was successful (I'm here posting about it), but who knows what's going to happen the on next boot attempt. Any ideas on how to address this problem? Or is it time to take my tower to my local PC repair shop?

Besides the System Restore option via the Startup Repair process, did you try the actual Startup Repair default option itself?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

How to Use the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista (or 7).

Startup Repair.

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

I ran both checks: chkdsk to check the hard drive and Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Both came up negative. Puzzling.

The few time I have run Start up Repair it has always said that it could not fix the problem.

However my computer has always worked afterwards.

This sounds dumb but I have seen many messages recommending that you run startup repair 3 times in a row. They swear that it makes a difference.

Answers:

* Yes, I do have AVG antivirus running on this computer

* Yes, I have a Logitech webcam attached to the computer. I'll unplug it and run the repair program.

Things are also getting worse: I had to reboot 3-4 times this morning before succeeding to bring up Win 7.

when you can get it to start remove avg and see if it makes a difference. One of their updates is known to cause an issue. If removing it clears the issue you can reinstall it or try one of the other free ones.

I removed the webcam and this morning, when the repair sequence came up on bootup, it seems to have worked. If the problem repeats itself, I'll uninstall AVG and install another antivirus program to see if that clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back