Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Record is Deleted" msg shown, preventing proper querying 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

irt

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
US
While doing a select query on a large database table I share with 2 others in an Access 2000 environment, I got a "Record is Deleted" message, and the query stopped. I searched the table and found a record at a specific location with the word "deleted" in every field. It looks like attempting to query past this record caused the msg to be displayed and the query to "crash". What is strange is that the location of this "deleted" record was the former location of a good record that had been updated earlier, as shown by looking at the backup of the table from the day before the problem occurred. This good record appeared to have moved from this location, leaving this "deleted" record in its place. Would anyone reading this have any explanation about why Access behaves in this way? Does updating a record cause it to be moved from one location in the file to another, leaving open the possibility of an imperfect move possibly caused by a power spike, for example? I would be grateful for any information I could get on this. Thank you very much.

The behavior you're describing happens whenever someone deletes a record from a table. You can see this by opening up two copies of the same database deleting, open the same table in each copy and delete an item from one. Move to the other database and press the arrow cursor down to scroll through the records you'll see the "#Deleted".

What I think is happening is that one of the other people working with your database deleted a record while you were working with it and that was the result. Your data should be fine.

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Mr. Miller:

Thank you very much for your helpful post. If I understand correctly, if I create a table at my workstation, save it, open it again at two workstations so they both display the same table at once and delete one of the records, the record should disappear from the screen at the workstation where the delete originated and the #deleted notification should appear on the other workstation's screen. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. If it does, I'll have another question. Thanks again!

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back