Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"read-only" problem in Word 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellgate

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
US
Not always, but sometimes, when reopening a recent document, Word forces me to open it as read-only. How can I prevent this?

If it occurs, check if Word is not running twice,
Cloase Word and check again, It sometimes hangs and keeps a lock on the file If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

How are you re(opening) the files?

I ask because we recently had a user complaining that most of the files they opened were read only. It turned out they were opening them from the preview pane in Outlook.

bandit600

I know this sounds too simple, but also assure that the document is not being read from a CD or was originally copied from a CD. Files copied from a CD to a hard disk are attributed as READ-ONLY.

glp

Unlikely gordonp, as the post says: when reopening a recent document If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back