Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Read only" ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknogeek9

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
Fellow geeks,
I am developing reports using MS Access 97 connected to an Informix database. Currently, I am using the ODBC driver provided by Merant (Intersolv). Since the data has to be real-time, the tables are linked rather than imported into Access. Unfortunately, this gives a "smart" user the ability to update records.
Is there any way to restrict an ODBC driver so that the user can only read the records from the database?
Thanks in advance

I'm not an Informix user, but I have never seen any ODBC driver (SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, etc) that had a "read only" option.

It would seem that the easiest way to do this is create a user in Informix that had only the rights needed to SELECT records, but not UPDATE/DELETE rights. Robert Bradley
teaser.jpg

You can edit a registry key to restrict ODBC linked tables to be of type "Snapshot" only.

In regedit, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\ODBC

Under ODBC, you'll see a DWORD value in the right-hand pane called "SnapshotOnly". Change this value to "1" instead of "0".

This should lock down your ODBC linked tables to be read-only, AND may increase performance slightly.

Hope this helps!

Sean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back