Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Pseudo" Ringdown Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

libellis

Technical User
Apr 9, 2007
US
Want to program a single button on a phone so that it will both autodial an outside number when pressed, and also act as an incoming line button when a particular DID # is programmed to ring into it.

Is this as simple as creating a "hotline" feature button and then just aiming a DID # to the extension associated with the hotline button?

The end result is a "pseudo" ringdown that mimics a real private line automatic ringdown (PLAR)- at least at one end.

Thanks very much. I had seen another document discussing hot dialing, but it's interesting that in neither that document nor this one does it ever say that an inbound call can be taken on the button. In this document even the discussed verification test is only one way - outbound.

Am I missing something, or is it just so obvious that an inbound call can be taken as well that the authors didn't think it worthwhile to even mention?

One other minor point. The document sort of assumes the primary extension of the phone is the hotline, so lifting the handset will make it autodial. I'm looking at the situation where the hotdial is not the primary extension, but another button on the phone so that lifting the handset won't initiate the hotdial sequence, only pushing the button will. I don't think that will make any difference and it is likely still doable.

configuring a hotdial on another key is totally doable, have quite a few setup like this at my site. For the incomming DID could you use a tranlation patten and translate it to the 'hotline' ext num at the phone end.

Thank you. All of this seemed doable, but I've been bitten by the "obvious" too many times in the past, so I wanted to be cautious and ask before making any promises.

Why don't you test it first? Then there is no doubt you can make it work.

It takes an act of Congress to get access to that system to try anything - even if it's simple. In this case it's much easier to know that something can be done up front before going through the process of implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back