Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Print to File" - Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleWorker

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
GB
Visit site
I really really would like to be able to save the spooled version of some of my pagemaker output. Is there anyway of actually doing this, so that all I have to do is sned the file to the printer<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Chris <p>Chris<br><a href=mailto:NaroonHa_IV@hotmail.com>NaroonHa_IV@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Inward Investment Europe sells the most up to date (we actually sell it back to the EU!) information on Europe (EU and CEE). Detailing Inward Investment Incentives, Taxation Rates and Labour regulations among other things. Personal plug... been programmin

I am not sure what this spool file is exactly.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I think that you are talking about a printer file or a .prn.&nbsp;&nbsp;This file can be sent to a printer using some kind of a downloader.&nbsp;&nbsp;Fiery, which is rip software for Color Copiers has a downloader that I have used a number of times to send a .prn or .ps file.&nbsp;&nbsp;How do you create these?&nbsp;&nbsp;Go to the print dialogue box and chose the &quot;write file to postscript&quot; or .ps option.

Assumed you have created a printer file C:\lemon.prn for a specified printer on Lpt1
This is for example a file version of a pdf-File from www, created by Acrobat reader &quot;Print to File&quot;
The only method I know is this:
Open DOS window via Start
Assumed prompt C:\Win95
Type cd..
Prompt C:Type Copy C:\lemon.prn Lpt1

I don´t know, why we can´t send a printable file to a printer by Windows
(we can, but then see perhaps hex code ...)

G. Hoffmann (Germany) [sig][/sig]

In fact, I managed to do it myself.

What I did was this.....:)

EXPLORE to C:\windows\spool\printers

DELETE all the random mess (ie all the files) left behind from your other print jobs (if you do this when jobs are in the print quese... you've deleted them!!!)

PAUSE the Printer from the queue window

PRINT the document that you would like to keep a spooled version of

PAUSE the document in the Queue window AFTER IT HAS FINISHED SPOOLING (if you do it before, it'll all **** up windows style)

CREATE a folder to store you're spooled documents in

COPY the two files probably 001.spl and 001.prn, some number, they will be the only two files there!! into your new folder

VOILA there you have a stored, spooled version of any document - I think you might be able to change the name of the files to something a little more useful, but I never tried it

OH - THE BEST BIT. In order to use you're new spooled file (certainly on my office machines) You have to :

Empty &quot;C:\windows\spool\printers&quot; again
Copy the spooled files into &quot;C:\windows\spool\printers&quot;

RESTART YOU@RE COMPUTER - Yes, thats right, windows won't notice that you put anything there until you do that. You could probably trick by copying over a qued document.. but you can work that out.....

Cheers for all the help, if you find another way, I think I am still being notified about this thread....cheers

Chris

[sig]<p>Chris<br><a href=mailto:NaroonHa_IV@hotmail.com>NaroonHa_IV@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Inward Investment Europe sells the most up to date (we actually sell it back to the EU!) information on Europe (EU and CEE). Detailing Inward Investment Incentives, Taxation Rates and Labour regulations among other things. Personal plug... been programmin[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back