Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"previous" button to go through directory entries?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2004
US
May be a silly question but the instructions for a 8434DX show how to scan through directory entries and a special end user says I should be able to program a 'previous' button.

Is there such a thing? See below, I love end users... oh and thank you as always
Since the next and previous buttons are of no use as they go with a menu we apparently do not use, and since my request was for a next and previous button, and since all that was set up was a next button (for the directory)- can you PLEASE set up a previous button (for the directory) below the next button on my phone. This would resolve this issue.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

With the 84 series you must program a "next" button on a hard key, the soft key button does not function as a "next" feature as it does on a 64 series or other newer set types.

O, yes, we do love end users !

With the directory, a Previous button is not possible. This has to do with the way the directory functions:

Say you need to look up Smith. By pressing 7 once, the directory goes over all possibilities with P, Q, R, S. Pressing 6 once next, the directory goes over all possibilities with PM/PN/PO; QM/QN/QO; RM/RN/RO; SM/SN/SO. Discarting these ranges which are not found in the directory, etc...
So the directory works like a funnel: starting off with a lot of possibilities and with each number you type filtering out less and less names. That's wy it is impossible to "return" (= previous); you can only go forward (= next)

regards,

Tiramisu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back