Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"open with" does not work in PSP 9!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewokuk

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
GB
I have XP pro sp2, and a CLEAN install of both windows and PSP 9.0. Yet whenever i right click a file such as a jpg, and select open with PSP 9, PSP opens then I get an error in the explorer window saying windows cannot find the file.

Yet it works perfectly with EVERYTHING else.

I've now reinstalled PSP 3 times and it never fixes it. I reinstalled PSP 8 again, worked perfectly.

Anyone know how to fix this? it MUST be a well known issue by now (although jasc claimed it wasnt).

I don't have this problem with PSP9 on my XP Pro sp2 PC.

It sounds like just a file association problem on your PC. This is more likely to happen if you haven't installed PSP in the default directory, but sometimes Windows just gets confused. The registry key that controls this may not be removed when you uninstall PSP9, so when you reinstall it the same faulty key is used.

There's a couple of things you can try:
1. In the PSP9 preferences, set PSP9 as the default application to open jpg files. There's a good chance this will correct the registry entry. If you don't want PSP set permanently as the default, remove this setting afterwards.

or
2. When you right-click & select Open With, do not select PSP 9. Instead, select Other (I think - I'm working on a 2k PC right now so some of the menu names might be a bit different. Either way, this is the menu item below the list of possible applications).
This should bring up a list of all applications on your PC. Instead of selecting PSP from the list, click the Browse button and locate PSP.EXE, and use that to launch the file. This should correct any registry entries that are pointing to the wrong location for the file.

Hopefully one of these will help.

RedCap

well I manually went through the registry and remove all references to PSP9 before and it didnt help.

And since this is a brand new XP install which has never had any psp on it before, I expect it to work!

it IS a problem with psp 9 because every time I put psp 8 on, it works perfectly.

it isnt a problem with windows not knowing where psp 9 is because psp 9 opens and THEN I get an error in explorer saying it cannot find the file (the file ive just tried to open)! doesnt matter what the filename is i try to open either.

ill have to email them again.

Having the same exact problem. Brand new machine, fresh install, same error "Windows cannot find D:\.....file"
Ver.8 worked fine since installed on old machine. Upgraded to 9.0 for new machine, applied 9.01 patch, no luck. PSP is not the default app for viewing graphics. Never have set it up that way. Tried that though, and same error.

Was just googling around for a solution whrn I found this Jasc page of fixes in 9.01.

"In Windows Explorer, right-clicking an image file and attempting to open it with Paint Shop Pro 9 was not working."

"In Windows Explorer, right-clicking a folder to "Browse with Paint Shop Pro 9" wasn't functioning properly."

Looks like they haven't fixed it yet?

yes it is in the changelog for 9.01 but it definately ISNT fixed. doesnt give you much confidence that any of these changes have actually been made does it, not exactly hard to test whether its fixed or not is it, which they obviously didnt do.

It works for me. Do this.

1. Open PSP and associate jpeg with the program, then close PSP.

2. Open PSP and close it again (for the settings to take effect).

3. Try opening a file with the "open with" command.

4. If it works, remove the association again.

5. Open and close PSP again, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with removing this anoying bug.

I have had this problem with another program, and no luck in editing thregistry on it. So i simply added it to the SEND TO option instead, the lazy way out to be sure, but it works.
JB

Had PSP 8 and PSP 9.01 - XP, SP2, all works fine with right click, open with. Also have Picture It 9, Picture It 7, Microsoft Office Picture Image, Microsoft Paint, Paint Shop Photo Album 4.03 - all will open with the right click and open with. File format extensions all checked in PSP. Guess I do have the PSP 9 Patch. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back