Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"OOOPS" window with error message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremybarker

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
A friend of mine recently started receiving a window that pops up with OOOPS in the title bar. In the window a text message follows: internal error exception access_violation (0xco000005)@address 00418761
The only things I found were two viruses: Oops.1087 and Ooops.368.A, but I can't find any info about either of these.
They have the latest virus definitions, and scan daily.
If it's not a virus, can someone direct me to another possiblity?

What application are they using when this happens? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Oops.1087
Detected as:
Oops.1087

Aliases:
None

Area of Infection:
.COM Files

No additional information.

This threat is detected by the latest Virus Definitions.

All computer users should employ safe computing practices, including:

Keeping your Virus Definitions updated.
Installing Norton AntiVirus program updates, when available.
Deleting suspicious looking emails.
You may also scan your PC for threats now, by

We are assuming this is a virus. However depending on the application and what programming language it was written under, this could be an application error. Hence Why I asked what apps were running. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Ok, just got a screen shot. Programs running: aol im, caps chat, outlook, web site (for symantec), virus scan from web site, palm software and had 2 im from aol on my screen plus my away message. The exact error windows is: OOOOPS (4 o's not 3)Sorry, internal error: exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC00000005) at address 00418761...

Are you running a web site? What services do you have running for your web site? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

She has a website through Earthlink, but it's inactive right now. She's also running Sqlserver v7.0

Oops.1087 and Ooops.368.A. Were these viruses you found on the system or just info you found? Does she run any programming stuff? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

That was just information I found, no viruses were found. She scanned her pc from norton's site and locally so she is clean. She doesn't run any programming software, she uses sqlserver for a local 3rd party database application.

I am thinking that that third party app or her SQL connection may be causing the error. Its tough to tell when there is very LITTLE info on oooops errors. The first thing you find is virus info. However this oooops is with 4 o's so that is out. There is a lot of info in visual basic and visual c++ on oooops but they are programming code. Which comes back to SQL and the third party app. Have you gone to the third party apps website and done a search on the issue? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Found a oooops in the registry. I'm noticing that in the registry, all keys have a W- have to use your imagination, impose the - on top of the W, make sense? where the \ is supposed to be. Oooops is found as a reg_multi_sz, I'm going to export it out, then delete it.

Sounds like a plan to me. Where in the registry did you find it? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Possibly a hippy wrote one of the apps she's running. I'm not averse to putting daft message boxes in apps that I write where it's not a serious application.

(I seem to remember a fairly mainstream application that had a remnant of code from a rogue programmer that told the user in somewhat indelicate terms that they had made an error - there was quite some fuss about it, and a few sackings. Unfortunately I can't remember which app it was, but it was mainstrean as in Photoshop or something).

Thanks for all the replies!

After I deleted the key, rebooted the pc an error came up unable to start screensaver. She had dl a screensaver from tucows. Once uninstalled, no more error!

Thanks again for the replies.

Wow. At least it was not a virus!! Although a screen saver is pretty close!!! James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

I am sorry we were not too much help. At least you figured out the issue. Sounds like it was a poorly written screen saver. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Not at all butchrecon you were plenty of help. Tipping me off that it was a progamming error made me think it wasen't a virus, which was my main concern. Thanks for all your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back