Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"numeric field overflow" on query to linked excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE

Technical User
Oct 25, 2000
US

My query has a parameter for the "job code" field which the design view in the linked table says is a number field. The data in this field is 5 digits.

When I try to run this query, I get the error "numeric field overflow" - and then when I click help it tells me that it's a btreive error: "The data in a Btrieve field is too large to represent in your application." Since there is no Btreive database involved I'm confused.

How do I fix this?

Thank you

What type of Number is it? Long Integer, Byte??

"I know what you're t'inkin', ma petite. Dat Gambit... still de suave one, no?"

on the general tab, "Field size" field in the table design view it says "double"

Reraising this thread because I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden, upon loading my Beta into the live system, I get a Btrieve error as noted in the above post. Never had one of these before, and the query in question, which brings in a csv file from an online application, has been functional for several months.

There are two date fields and a time field involved in the 84 fields in the download file. Are these the likely culprits?

Does anyone have ideas for how to resolve this? The world of Btrieve is foreign to me. TIA,

Susan

Never mind, the problem was simpler than feared. A format mismatch seems to have "happened" during the Beta upload. A date field suddenly wasn't designated as such in the destination table. All is well now.

Still, it was a freaky peek into worlds of background programming that one usually doesn't see. Something to keep in mind as I learn more.

In good news, my huge new registration system that I spent the summer developing is working, and it has loads of cool options. Too bad all the users can do is critique it and not sit back and enjoy it for a moment. Sure there are things to tweak, but darn it, doesn't it have a lot of neat bells and whistles that weren't there before? And have you ever seen such structure? That's just how it goes, I guess. It's good to have a group like this where our unseen work is appreciated.

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back