Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Null" Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssVBAdev

Programmer
May 23, 2003
US
I have Windows 2000 installed (OEM) and have tried to install numerous programs (ie Microsoft Office 2000, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat Reader etc... etc...). The installations (for the most part) go smoothly; no errors. But, when I open any of the programs (Like excel, word, AutoCAD...) I get the error message:

"Cannot find the file '(Null)' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

Now, my initial thought is that it has something to do with the Registry but I'm not sure.

I did have problems installing AutoCAD 2004 which uses the MSI (msiexec.exe). Windows could not 'find' it's own MSI program. The Install CD would not work and The 'run' line would not work. I had to circumvent it by installing AutoCAD from the command prompt.

Any Thoughts on why this 'null' error occurs??

Good Monday Morning. Hope all was well for you. I'm working on this right now. May take a while as I seem to have things to catch up on as well today...

I'm forwarding the results (.log files) to you right now, to the above email address. You should get them soon.

ssVBAdev,

Your logs are quite interesting !!

I'd always thought that Intel LanDesk had gone the way of the "dodo" bird, but I guess not.

Are you still running SuperEDI ??. If you are I'd remove it for now, since it's hooking into the chain when you use RUN.

Ian

WOO HOO! You are a Genious in my books.

SuperEDI is the App that was causing all the problems! It's a text editor that I downloaded a couple of years ago but had not given me any problems before. I use it to edit just about everything from HTML to VBS.

Now, you say it was hooking into the chain? What specifically are you looking at, which line items in the log? I saw that "SuperEDI" was showing up in the log but didn't think that it was the problem.

I'm curious to see if the person in the other thread has SuperEDI installed!?

It's in line 192 of your RunLine log

HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec\(Default) SUCCESS [open(%1")]"

When you open a program that's an EXE, it has to pass through here:-

Line 132
HKCR\exefile\shell\open\command\(Default) SUCCESS %1" %*"

If you follow it down it ends up here

HKCR\*
HKCU\*\shell
HKCR\*\shell
HKCR\*\shell
HKCU\*\shell\open
HKCR\*\shell\open
HKCR\*\shell
HKCU\*\shell
HKCR\*\shell
HKCR\*\shell
HKCU\*\shell\SuperEdi
HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi
HKCR\*\shell
HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi
HKCU\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec
HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec
HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec
HKCU\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec
HKCR\*\shell\SuperEdi\ddeexec\(Default) SUCCESS [open(%1")]"

In your other log, it's NOT there.

So...., that was a good place to start asking questions !!

Ian

P.S.

I off in a little while to go see CPR Empress steam into Hamilton.

Sounds Good!

I can't Thank You enough for your time and expertise!!

Have a great time seeing the CPR Empress (nice picture by the way)!

Not a problem sir !!. These are the sort of problems that I LIKE fixing !!

While I'd agree that a re-install would have fixed it and I.S. would have been happy. You as the "user" would have been cursing that they missed some or all of your customizations !!.

Nuff said !!. Chuff ! Chuff !! [thumbsup]

Ian

I have discovered for me the "Cannot Find File' problem is being caused by the Popup Stopper from Panicware that is installed on our machines. If you disable turn off this utility (Right-clik on icon and select 'Exit' in toolbar) you will not have the problem. Simply disabling the popup stopper (which allows popups) does not solve the problem unfortunately. Therefore you either have to remove the program using (Control Panel Add-Remove programs) or right-clik the icon in the toolbar, select 'Preferences' and un-check the box about letting the program run when Windows starts.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back