Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Not High Density" Ram (DDR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tep0583

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I assume this means that there are more chips on the stick and that is bad because more chips = higher propagation delay (slower responce). Have I assumed correctly ro does this mean something else altogether?

I understand what DDR SDRAM and SDRAM are and what the differences are. What I need to know is what the difference between "high-density" and "non high-density" DDR SDRAM is. I assume that high density is higher quality memory, but I'm not sure about that.

I would be interested in seeing some proof that there is a difference, but my understanding is that the density only matters with compatibility, not speed. Older motherboards sometimes have problems seeing newer modules that are more dense.

Theoretically, it makes sense that higher densities would yield faster access, however I doubt this is actually true. Even if it is, the benefit would be very, very small.

Just my 2¢ ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Ah, OK. That also makes sence. Just wanted to know if there was a reason I sould be leary. A friend of mine asked me about this and I didn't really know exactly what to tell him. Thanks.

High Density = Fewer chips per module (stick)
Lower density = possibly double sided (chips on both sides) and more of them
Basically high density means each chip on the module represents a higher megabyte value.
Some older boards are more compatible with low density memory, where there are more chips on the memory stick, but there is no hard and fast rule on this.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

paparazi,
I think his main question was about the speed factor. Are higher density modules faster than lower density ones? I haven't heard of this before, but my guess as stated above, is that it doesn't make a difference.

Your thoughts? ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Higher density modules are supposed to be faster.
This is because the chips are stacked on top of one another and access through eachother and not through the board.Shorter signal traces...pins make direct contact.
SO theoretically, and so say the chip manufacturers....it is faster access and therefore higher quality.
I can provide some links to some documentation if anyone is interested.
Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

KimberTech,
Yes, I would be interested to see "how much" faster. If you could post some links, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks, ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Cool. Thanks for the responces guys. What I'm getting is that the lower density sticks are OK to use, but they may not be quite as optimized as high density sticks. That's what I needed to know.

I think that there are so many other variables with the quality, design and manufacture of ram that density, as you put it, would be one of the minor factors that may effect overall performance, newer types for instance like ball grid array, I presume not only run cooler but advances in chip design must improve overall performance.
I guess there must be a whole heap of information on this subject but i'll let you guys research that one.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back