Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"No Transport protocol avaliable" with Outlook/Exchange/SMTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
I recently installed Exchange 5.5 SP 3 on my server and upgraded everyone to Office 2000 with Outlook 2000. A few of my users are experiencing problems where they get an email from System Administrator stating "There was no transport protocol available for this recipient" or something very similar.

The problem tends to occur when you type or use Global Address book to get a local user's email address and it automatically takes (I don't know what else to call it when Outlook underlines the address after you type it in) the address from the Global Address book on Exchange. I can usually cure the problem by clicking "resend message" and typing the local users email address in by hand.

In Global address book on Exchange the only entry I have in EMAIL Address for each local recipient is SMTP, I deleted all the other types of EMail (Like Microsoft Mail and X400, etc...) as I am not going to use them.

I am not using Exchange for E-Mail at all. I only use it for Scheduling and Message storage. My email is handled by Sendmail and POP-3 on a Linux server. At first I thought maybe I had a DNS lookup problem but I have eliminated that.

I tought maybe it was a problem with the format of the recipients in Global Addressbook but only 2 people are having the problem, everyone else works fine. And I have reentered multiple receipients at least twice now.

I have tried playing with the timeout value in Services/Internet Mail but when the error occures it doesn't wait to timeout. The message goes from Outbox to the Error message in the Inbox instantly.

Looking in TechNet I found the error to be pretty prelevant with OL2K and OL97 but I couldn't find a solution that fit my the exact issues.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

-cm
[sig][/sig]

Which Exchange Service Pack are you on?

Check email profile settings (from control panel), what is delivery location /addressing, import outlook to .PST file and recreate profile.

Also, make sure that the order of delivery services is correct in the profile setting. Make sure that the two users with the problem are not trying to deliver using the Exchange server first, and then your POP3 server. Make sure the Internet Mail Service is listed as the first item in the delivery order list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back