Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"No logon servers available" when W2000 client tries to map drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlott

MIS
Jun 21, 2002
US
I have a small office LAN and Windows 2000 server. The server is also configured to be a DHCP server, but I am assigning IP addresses for VPN clients from a static address pool. It is outfitted with two NIC cards, and a ADSL modem.

I am currently running WinProxy so that I can share internet connections. I also use it for my firewall.

I have configured ports 135-139, 1723, and 47 in Winproxy. I also installed the NetBEIU protocol for clients and server.

The clients can connect to the VPN server. A Windows 98 client can map network drives. When I try to map drives from a Windows 2000 client, however, I get the following error:

The mapped network drive could not be created because
the following error has occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

What are the differences between the W98 and W2000 clients that could cause one to receive this error and not the other? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Lott

Maybe a DNS issue, with 98 using NetBEUI and 2k using DNS? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I ran into this a couple of months ago.

Microsoft Q article: Q297278

I'd encourage you to reconsider your config and put a hardware firewall between you and the ADSL modem and forget the WinProxy & dual NICs.

NetBEUI is not a routable protocol, so it will work on your local lan, but not across the VPN. It creates unnecessary network traffic. If TCP/IP is setup correctly with WINS and DNS in your case, you should be able to nix NetBEUI.

An external, public NIC on a server gives me the willies, regardless of the software used. With a hardware firewall/VPN, you also offload the VPN encrypt/decrept processing burden to the firewall. If you have even 3-4 active VPN remote clients, your server may get hammered if its having to do the encryption for the VPNs.

I have found 2 things with this. First if you disconnect all mapped drives & then re-map them specifying a different login name & password, even if you specify the same ones you used when you login, that will work. Second I have just discovered that if you disable NetBeui & use only TCP/IP on your dial up connection, then you should not have to go through what I specified above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back