Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Network Cable Unplugged" and it's not... 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowlilax

Technical User
Mar 13, 2006
US
Computer was in sleep mode and wouldnt come back so I hard to hard shut it down. When I turned the system back on it gives me the "network cable unplugged" message and it's plugged in. I have ran diagnostics on the card and everything is fine with it. The light is on next to the port. I'm running on XP Home - it's a Dell Dimension.

Things I've tried that have NOT worked:
Plugging a different cable in from another computer
Uninstalling driver, reinstalling
Taking card out and putting in another slot
Repairing windows

Can anyone help? Thank you so much!

I did try it on a different port - same thing. It never connects like the other thread where someone had the problem. It constantly says network cable unplugged.

Ed - would I need to remove everything on my computer and reinstall windows from scratch? Or just repair it? I have a 120GB harddrive and an external case that should be arriving today. I can transfer my files to that one, but would I need to wipe out that other harddrive completely? I really don't want to do that if I dont have to. Should I try just putting in the new card first and see if it works?

Oh and I did run that ping thing and it came up 4 packets received and 4 sent and no timeouts.

The one suggestion I didnt try is locking down my network speed - when I went into the properties of the network connection and into advanced it gave me no option to do that. The only thing under advanced was the firewall option.

You should probably replace your NIC with a new one before you reload windows imo.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Ok, thank you. I will put the new card in tonight and see what happens before reloading windows - I'm not sure how to even do that without losing files.

Remove the existing device first.

Right click on 'My Computer' (from the start button) and select properties.

Select the hardware tab, then 'device manager'

Right click on the NIC adapter & select 'uninstall'

Shut down and replace the card. After the new card is detected and the drivers installed you should be able to use the wizard to re-configure your connection.

If it doesn't work. Please open a command window and type
ipconfig/all

Copy and paste the result here.

Thank you so much for your detailed response :) I will do that as soon as I get home

Might help if you would be specific about what level of xP you are working with.

You could also run SFC and a scan to see if it pickes up anything. run > command > sfc

And would do a repair install, not a full one at first. You might have to do a full, but that is kinda the last resort.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Might help if you would be specific about what level of xP you are working with. "

If I knew what that was I could tell you...it's XP Home...probably not what you're looking for. If you could tell me how to find out I'd be happy to tell you. I will try the sfc thing - what does that look for?

Start > control panel > add/remove programs, at the bottom of the list will be programs added by service packs. Asking to find out if you have service pack software changes installed.

SFC looks for consistent levels of software. By itself it will return a listing of the correct switches to use.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I will check that tonight too - I almost positive that I'm on SP2.

I had this type of problem with a friend's computer and used this and/or this to fix it.

Oddly enough, XP wouldn't just allow me to 'remove' tcpip. I just wound up reinstalling it over itself and after that reinstalling the drivers and it worked. Of course, this took me an hour to figure out.

Hybernation can cause real problems.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

danomac - I think the first one sounds like what's happening. I printed it out and I will try that too tonight if the new card doesnt fix it. Thanks for your help.

IT'S FIXED!!! I got a new NIC card and it works fine. My last stupid question - how come it doesnt show the network connection in the tray now? It's connected - just doesn't show. Thank you EVERYONE for all of your help. It's finally up and running and I even put together an external drive enclosure and put my backup harddrive in it without asking a billion questions! Thank you again!!

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

Another menu should pop out showing the new connection you created. Right-click it and choose Properties.

Tick the box marked "Show icon in notification area when connected". If you want, tick the box marked "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity" too. Click OK.

This works for XP Pro but I imagine it's very similar on XP Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back