Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"My Computer" problem 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geiger9

Technical User
Jan 13, 2001
CA
I go into my computer. Then when I try to go into the C: drive, it says, "windows cannot find a file that is need to open the file type "_ . What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

I would hold fire on the install there, my man, a we bit premature :)

What type of file are you trying to open, is this as soon as you click on your c: drive??

Can you right click and choose explore?, what icon is your hard drive displayed as??

Paul

Im trying to open the c: drive. I can right click and go to explore and there is no icon for drive c: just the "normal file" icon.

Hi,

You could try deleting the ShellIconCache file.

To do this you will need to start your PC in safe mode
Go to the windows folder in explorer.
Find the file ShellIconCache (Its a hidden file so make sure you are looking at all files in expolrer)
Delete it, and restart your machine.
It will be recreated when you reboot.

Hey I tried deleting the iconshellcache file but it didn't work. After i restarted windows the problem still persists. Please, someone has to have an answer because I REALLY do not want to format hardrive because i have no CD burner

Try running system file checker
start>run> type in "SFC"(without quotes). click ok
Hope this helps

why don't you try using the Pcrestore command on the original win98 disk. Should fix your problems and restore your 98 system back to original operation without harming your programs CD: \tools\sysrec\pcrestore

Tried running SFC, it fixed some files but none fixed my problem. I tried running PCrestore but you needed a backup copy made when your computer was in good shape. It's looking grim...

Where does the computer say your windows file is located? If you right click on the C file what does properties show?

Try running scandisk. If that doesn't work, go into explorer and click file types, and make sure that all your file types open with the right application/program ex. a .bmp will open with picture viewer, .mov with media player, ect...

Sorry, none of those worked. Any other solutions?? If this helps: I can remember unzipping a file to c:\ then I deleted it.

Again where does the computer say your windows file is located? If you right click on the C file what does properties show?

Ok im going to take this step by step:
1.I click 2 on my computer
2.the floppy A drive has an icon and when I double click on it, it works
3. the C drive on otherhand has the, "normal file" icon and when I double click on it it sez:
Windows cannot find file ACE95.EXE

This type of file is need for opening files of the
type ".

Location of file
(type location in here)

OK Cancel Locate

and when I click on properties:
LABEL - WIN98SE
TYPE - local disk
FILE SYSTEM - FAT32
i have a six gig hardrive and only 500 megs left hope that helps.

Did you ever get this? It looks like a virus to me. Changing your icon and killing the path?

The icon has just reverted to Windows' 'generic' icon - doesn't suggest a virus neccessarily, if you have 45 mins to spare try an overlay of Windows - this may patch up your install without affecting your apps or settings. Andy.

I know this is an old thread, but I think I know what the problem was.
When you unzipped the file you mentioned, it created an 'autorun.inf' file which contains something like:
[autorun]
OPEN=ACE95.EXE
ICON=???.ICO

So, when you double click the C-drive from My Computer folder, you're actually executing C:\ACE95.EXE instead of opening your C-drive folder. (You can verify this by right click the C-drive from My Computer folder and see the bolded text, which is the default action when you double click, is 'AutoPlay' instead of the normal 'Open'.

In order to resolve the problem, simply delete the file 'c:\autorun.inf'. Or, if you think it's cool to have your own icon for your C-drive, you can edit autorun.inf file, remove the line 'OPEN=ACE95.EXE' and change the ICON=???.ICO to refer to your own icon.

I hope this helps. Kadir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back